From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: Small Block Chevy + 700r4 help

Small Block Chevy + 700r4 help

Hey all,

I'm quickly realizing that keeping my 55 special all Buick is not financially possible.

After seeing a rebuild kit for the engine is close to 3k, not to mention the probably 3k in transmission rebuild, I'm starting to think SBC might be the way to go.

Has anyone done this in a 55? I'm not exactly sure what else down the line will need to be changed, I'm assuming everything from engine to rear end.

Thanks to all who have responded to my posts so far, your help has led me to this realization... Not ideal, but until I get a proper raise, its not going to happen.

--Matt

Hi

Hi,

I'm kind of in a similar situation with my 1951 Special. For my 51 if I were to go the route of swapping out my engine and transmission for a Small Block Chevy and a TH350 or 700R4, then I would also have to swap out the drive shaft, rear axle, and rear suspension, since on Buicks from my era, they used a "torque tube" rear end which would need to be changed to go along with the newer engine and transmission. Overall I think I was looking at $6-7K in parts, though I was also considering a new gas tank, radiator and front disc brakes too. I'm not sure how the 55s were set up though, but I wouldn't be surprised if you might also need a new drive shaft, differential, rear axle and rear suspension too.

Regards

Pat
    Last edited by PFJN; 07-03-2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Clean Up
    - 1951 Buick Special Deluxe 4Dr Tourback Sedan

Engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by 55delois View Post
    Hey all,

I'm quickly realizing that keeping my 55 special all Buick is not financially possible.

After seeing a rebuild kit for the engine is close to 3k, not to mention the probably 3k in transmission rebuild, I'm starting to think SBC might be the way to go.

Has anyone done this in a 55? I'm not exactly sure what else down the line will need to be changed, I'm assuming everything from engine to rear end.

Thanks to all who have responded to my posts so far, your help has led me to this realization... Not ideal, but until I get a proper raise, its not going to happen.

--Matt
    Cost more to make a hybrid out of it than to repair what you have. Dollar to a donut. Been done many times.

Ben