Thread: Newbie 1st Posting

Newbie 1st Posting

Hello everyone.

So glad to find a community who share in the same interests and some of the same dilemmas.

I have recently purchased a 1952 Buick Special Deluxe Tourback Sedan, Model 41D.
    Work over at a tire/mechanic shop. Definitely has its benefits when restoring a car.

Had offhand a couple questions.

Was going to be doing an oil change on the car today possibly. Says I should use Heavy duty or Premium type oil....what would you guys recommend?

Also, most likely need to replace the oil filter currently in I'd imagine. Calls for a AC Type P 127, compatible filter is FRAM C4P, correct?

Throwing some baby white walls (lol) Toyo Extensas on it. Just something to throw on and be able to ride around on for now, and to see if there are any other suspension issues. Has wide whites on it now but they are cracked and dry rotted from sitting for several months. Will be getting wide whites (2"-2.5") put on right before dream cruise though. Hell of a deal I can get with my discount and connections for prob $140-$150 each tire.

please. no Fram. there are hundreds of youtube videos you can watch of people taking Fram filters apart in comparison to real quality filters. it's flat out embarrassing how much you're getting ripped off just to save a buck or two.

Wix, Napa Gold, AC-Delco, Bosch. if you want to get pricey, you can get K&N or something. you have plenty of options.

Says I should use Heavy duty or Premium type oil....what would you guys recommend?

Rotella 15w-40. good AND cheap, which is hard to beat. and you can buy it in 5 gal buckets if you want.

Rotella may not be the best choice for an all out performance build, but it's way more than you need for puttering around town and doing a few burnouts.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks Bob.

Ended up throwing a Wix in-line fuel filter.

Brakes on the car are a no go..no brakes whatsoever. Only thing just about keeping me from enjoying it on the road as is.

I believe it to be a brake master cylinder problem or no brake fluid. Tried popping off the top to take a look but the bolt is rounded out a bit and seems to be seized on. Most likely thinking of looking into new brake master cylinder. Was possibly wanting to do a front disc brake conversion kit (discbrakemike.com ???) or new drums. Having a hard time finding something compatible that matched the wheel bolt pattern.

Brake fluid says GM or Delco Super No. 11 or 12. What is something compatible that I can find easily?

i would guess that DOT-4 is backwards compatible with your older system, but you might want to double check me.

ask at NAPA or something.

wikipedia suggests that the old formulations were Castor Oil based and should not be mixed with glycol based Dot-3 or -4 which means that the brake lines and system would need a thorough flushing before you filled it up.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)