Thread: "FIN" Trim Paint On My 67 Electra

"FIN" Trim Paint On My 67 Electra

The paint within the fin trim on my 67 Electra is worn and missing in spots. I would like to freshen it up but am unsure what paint to use and what the finish should be. I think I've added a pic of the trim for reference!

What remains seems to be a semi gloss but after 5 decades of waxing and polishing I don't know if it started life as a flat paint like the grille and the badges or as an actual semi gloss. Also was it a lacquer or enamel paint from the factory? Would anyone know? This IS the place to ask! Thanks in advance for any help, Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello, anybody? Even a semi informed guess would help. Thanks

I usually just use a convenient spray bomb. Your question could be difficult to answer. I doubt the factories were too concerned about the silver and black trim colors or the codes would be easier to find.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks for the reply Bob. I guess since it looks semi flat now that's what I'll go with.
    I've seen a couple of examples of my car that were "restored" and they took all the paint away from the trim rendering a featureless wide chrome bar. I think I can do better than that. Yes rattle cans are our friend and I have had many successful projects over the years that have held up great even through a decade of northeastern winters.
    It's really all about the prep. - Bill

There are some pictures online of NOS vertical fin moldings (GM part no 4229405) from eBay. These show a moderate amount of gloss. Found them by Googling "Buick 4229405".
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

I just looked it up and saw the shine! Now I'm heading in a whole new direction. What are NOS 67 Buick trim parts doing in The Netherlands anyway? Thanks Todd, Bill