Thread: Brake Adjuster, 1969 LeSabre

Question Brake Adjuster, 1969 LeSabre

Hello,

I just finished replace brake shoes, wheel cylinders, adjusters, etc on my LeSabre and I’ve got one adjuster lever that is not working. There’s more play in it compared to the other three and it doesn’t even touch the adjuster screw. It is positioned on its pivot further out than the other three and I’m just not sure what it correct. Should the piece that the adjuster lever pivots on pass through the holes in adjuster lever and brake shoe or just the lever?

I’ve included a couple of pics of the brake I’m having difficulty with. Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated. So close to getting this car back on the road!

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like you have the shoes in reversed. The shoe with the longer pad should be to the back the shorter pad to the front and the adjuster arm on the rear pad. Here is a pic of the front brake on my 67 Electra. - Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

The cup base for the spring should pass through the adjusting lever and the brake shoe creating a hinge for the lever to swing on. It should not hold the lever off the shoe. If the cup does not pass through the shoe, the only thing the lever is hinging on is the retainer pin and the lever will not swing properly.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by oldfoneguy View Post
    It looks like you have the shoes in reversed. The shoe with the longer pad should be to the back the shorter pad to the front and the adjuster arm on the rear pad. Here is a pic of the front brake on my 67 Electra. - Bill
    I’m sorry. It look s like the picture is upside down somehow. I’ve got the smaller pad to the front. Thank you for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The cup base for the spring should pass through the adjusting lever and the brake shoe creating a hinge for the lever to swing on. It should not hold the lever off the shoe. If the cup does not pass through the shoe, the only thing the lever is hinging on is the retainer pin and the lever will not swing properly.
    Thank you for the confirmation of that fact. It turns out that one shoe was defective. The hole in the shoe for the cup pad was not correctly formed and the cup did not fit correctly. All good now!