- 1955 Wiring Diagrams
- 1957 Wiring Diagrams
- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: 1966 Buick Wildcat Custom Convertible - Fuse Box Ratings?

1966 Buick Wildcat Custom Convertible - Fuse Box Ratings?

Hi Guys,
    I have a 1966 Buick Wildcat Custom Convertible which is my pride and joy, but today it blew a fuse for the convertible top. The fuse was a 30A fuse, but I suspect it should have been a 40A fuse (the only fuse marked with an amperage rating on the fuse block).

Does anyone have a listing of the correct fuse sizes for the fuse box? I couldnt find it in the maintenance manual, but I suspect its in the owners manual (but I dont have one).

IMG_8895.jpg

the factory 1966 Chassis Manual is here:
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...ssis/index.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    the factory 1966 Chassis Manual is here:
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...ssis/index.php
    thanks yes, I went through that already but couldnt find the fuse box ratings listed anywhere..

The power top circuit is fed by a 40 amp circuit breaker installed in the fuse block. It also feeds power windows and power seats, if equipped. See pg 120-173 of chassis service manual (attached).

Someone must have installed a 30 amp fuse instead. 40 amp rating is not available in this size glass fuse. Earlier Buick models sometimes used a 30 amp breaker for the power top if power windows and power seats were not supplied. The breaker is self resetting after it cools down, making it much better than a fuse for handling an occasional overload.

The breaker is a GM part no 1476675. Availability looks good as a reproduction part which was also used on '78 Corvettes.

Fuse ratings (but not the circuit breaker) are on pg 120-12 of the chassis service manual (attached).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post
    The power top circuit is fed by a 40 amp circuit breaker installed in the fuse block. It also feeds power windows and power seats, if equipped. See pg 120-173 of chassis service manual (attached).

Someone must have installed a 30 amp fuse instead. 40 amp rating is not available in this size glass fuse. Earlier Buick models sometimes used a 30 amp breaker for the power top if power windows and power seats were not supplied. The breaker is self resetting after it cools down, making it much better than a fuse for handling an occasional overload.

The breaker is a GM part no 1476675. Availability looks good as a reproduction part which was also used on '78 Corvettes.

Fuse ratings (but not the circuit breaker) are on pg 120-12 of the chassis service manual (attached).
    Wow, fantastic - that's a great help, thanks so much! Judging by the picture I've seen online for that circuit breaker, it looks like it would be too big to fit into the fuse box? So looking at the wiring diagram its a direct fit....

Yes the contact legs fit down into the clips on the fuse block. The rest sits on top of the block and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Just came across this picture from the '68 shop manual of the breaker installed in the fuse block.
    Attached Images Attached Images