Thread: 54 buick

54 buick

I just found your web site, I was having problems with installing a trunk seal so I went to the computer to look for help when I stumbled on this site. I installed a seal on the deck lid . I used a silicone product that was a pain in the *** to use it kept coming apart. So anyway it finally dried I tried shutting the lid but the seal was holding the lid up about 4". So I thought I might be able to adjust the lid well this didn't work either . I was in & out of the trunk a lot of times trying to see what the problem is. So I was not sure if I had the seal on properly. So I figured I would start all over. I removed the seal that was easy because it did not adhere to the rubber too good. This time I took the deck lid off & turned it over so I would not be fighting gravity. Next I need to clean up the metal surface on the lid. So hear is where I need some experienced help . 1 ; which way does the seal get put on and 2; what glue to use? Please help Mike in Pa.

Attached is a copy of some pages from the Fisher Body Service News of 4/15/54. This info applies to the Special and Century series. Rear compartment weatherstrip for the Super and Roadmaster series is somewhat different.

These pages shows instrctions for installing the weatherstrip and adjusting the lid.

3M Weatherstrip Adhesive no 08008 should work fine in this case.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post
    Attached is a copy of some pages from the Fisher Body Service News of 4/15/54. This info applies to the Special and Century series. Rear compartment weatherstrip for the Super and Roadmaster series is somewhat different.

These pages shows instrctions for installing the weatherstrip and adjusting the lid.

3M Weatherstrip Adhesive no 08008 should work fine in this case.
    Be sure you have the correct part for your car.
    Steele Rubber products are generally good but the trunk seal for the 40/60 cars is slightly larger than stock and considerably firmer. I have had better fit with Metro Rubber.