Thread: 1963 Buick Electra 225 brake system

1963 Buick Electra 225 brake system

Hello brand new to all of this so any help is appreciated. Purchased a 1963 Buick Electra 225 2 door Convertible a few months ago. Having some braking issues (hard pedal). The vehicle is now parked and I will be going through the steps to diagnose the issue. In an effort to get out in front of this Ive started to try and locate parts for the braking system and have had no problem finding the new brake lines, wheel cylinders and other basic things to begin the overhaul of the braking system. As far as new power boosters and dual master cylinder that’s compatible I have had little to no luck finding parts for this year vehicle. Any help on finding some of these things, parts used that weren’t necessarily for this year but are interchangeable or just advice from anyone who has overhauled a braking system on a 61-63 Buick Electra would be appreciated. Planning to keep the drums all the way around.I am very new to this and just doing research. Thanks in advance.

most of your local junk yards should have what's known as a "Hollander Interchange Manual".

they can cross reference all kinds of parts that way.

1961-64 is all the same basic car for C-bodies, so you should also be able to look at parts for an Olds 98 or Cadillac De Ville from those years.

we don't have a Chassis Manual that applies to you ( have 1960 and 66 ), sorry.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by pfinn72 View Post
    Hello brand new to all of this so any help is appreciated. Purchased a 1963 Buick Electra 225 2 door Convertible a few months ago. Having some braking issues (hard pedal). The vehicle is now parked and I will be going through the steps to diagnose the issue. In an effort to get out in front of this Ive started to try and locate parts for the braking system and have had no problem finding the new brake lines, wheel cylinders and other basic things to begin the overhaul of the braking system. As far as new power boosters and dual master cylinder that’s compatible I have had little to no luck finding parts for this year vehicle. Any help on finding some of these things, parts used that weren’t necessarily for this year but are interchangeable or just advice from anyone who has overhauled a braking system on a 61-63 Buick Electra would be appreciated. Planning to keep the drums all the way around.I am very new to this and just doing research. Thanks in advance.
    Just a thought but have you tried to mock it up or compare it to chevy cars or pickups. On my buick it has a lot of parts like that that are interchangeable with my 74 chevy mud truck and wifes 85 chevy. I swapped a chrome master cylinder onto my 74 buick electra just from ebay. Chevy and buick do have a lot of interchangeable parts since the same company owns both of them.

Leadfoot you will have to move to a dual master cylinder for a 1967-1970 drum brake car. You will need to change over to a power booster and brake pedal assembly from one of these year cars also as the plunger is longer for the dual cylinder. You will also need the distribution block for the dual master and the 2 lines that run from the master to it. You may or may not have to slightly modify the existing brake lines so they connect with the dual block. It's been many years since I did one of these conversions so my memory of that part of it is a little fuzzy.

If your going to drive the car a lot I would also suggest installing the finned aluminum front drums if you can find them. They dissipate heat much better than the cast iron drums resulting in less brake fade. Buick actually won an award for their drum braking system featuring the dual master cylinder and finned aluminum drums the same year the disc brake system became available (1967). The disc brake system was trouble prone and didn't sell well in '67 & '68. They fixed the problem in '69 with the floating caliper which is still in use today. - Bill