Thread: 455 running too warm for my taste

455 running too warm for my taste

I just bought a 1964 skylark, 455/400/3.08 10 bolt posi.

I drove it home from 5 hours away. Ran great except it runs warmer than I'd like. If I was going 70mph the temp gauge read 215-220, 60mph ran around 205-215. I got bogged down in traffic a couple times, except for stopping after climbing a long hill at 70 it never got over 215. That time it stayed at 220 before finally cooling down to 200. Just idling, it hangs around 190-200. These are all without running the A/C, except just idling today, done that for over an hour with the A/C wide open, it ran 190-200 as well. It never puked either.

It it has an aluminum radiator(3 or 4 core, pretty thick) dual electric fans, 195 tstat. The fans kick on at 190 and never cutoff, obviously due to the 195 tstat.

I'm wondering if the shroud is hurting airflow, other than the holes for the fans, it completely blocks the radiator, and it's only about 1" thick. Or, should I look into a high flow water pump? The engine isn't anything unruly, it makes 16" vacuum at 500rpm idle. I don't believe timing is a problem as I didn't hear any pinging nor felt it, plus it turns over super easy. I've got a 180 and 160 thermostat on the shelf, but neither is going to help anything after sometime driving.

Sorry for for being so long winded, just want to lay out the details as best I can. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the shroud shouldn't be a problem while the electric fans are running.

look at a circle track Late Model. they cool +700hp v8 engines through nose openings ~ 2" x 20". unless the previous owner completely shut off the nose, you've likely got enough air flow.

the T-stat obviously needs to be lower than the trip point for the fans. and there's no reason for +185 anyways unless you're in the far north and need the cab heat.

have you checked the lower rad hose to make sure it's got the support spring? that's the vacuum side of the radiator and, if not supported, can get sucked shut.

you can get a coolant fluid test kit that will tell you if you have exhaust gases in the coolant. if yes, there is ( probably ) a head gasket problem. most decent mechanics will also have this.

check condition of the water pump. the pump housing is aluminum and the block is iron, the dissimilar metals can cause electrolysis damage to the aluminum housing.

the 71 manual will have trouble shooting for the 455.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...ssis/index.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Running hot

I have always lived by the rule that if it would not cool at speed, but would at slow speed/idle, the radiator is at fault. If air flow, due to anything, is at fault, it would show up at idle before it would at hwy speed. Your radiator is either too small or is plugged. My .02 worth

Ben

Thanks for the replies. Ill check these things and let you guys know if I find anything. I do know visually there is no oil in coolant or vice versa, plus it doesn't smoke at all nor smell sweet.

im hoping it just needs a water pump and let that be the end of it. If all seems well, no collapsed hoses, cool spots in radiator, etc.. could I pull the fan shroud and drive down the interstate just for giggles.

Running hot

Sure. Is the fan in front of the radiator or between it and the engine? Can you post a picture of the fan/shroud?

Ben

Between rad and engine. I'll get one tomorrow, gotta work.