- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake spacer

Intake spacer

Hi all,
    Has any of you used or have any information positive or negative in regards to the use of the 1” intake spacer. Between the intake and block. Considering one to raise intake slightly, but sure don’t want to diminish performance.
    thanks for any and all responses !!

Brian

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-264-32...UAAOSwPe1T85Fd
    Nailhead

each engine should be tested separately, but an intake spacer will almost always improve performance.

it increases manifold volume, lengthens the effective runner length and, if plastic or wood, will help keep manifold heat out of the carb.

good luck!
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Spacer

Thanks for the reply Bob.
    Id sure think the same & agree. However there is an individual up in Northern California that says they only hurt power. I can’t really see how or why. I’d like one to give me a little more clearance with my dual quad & new valley pan. That spacer would be perfect, but I sure don’t want reduced power. Lol

any other opinions certainly appreciated!!

thanks all,
    Brian

i did receive this email from the gentleman that makes them after I enquired about performance.

Check out the link. That is from another customer on the small nailhead that was on the dyno. Only one guy I know says they decrease power (won't name names) but the one in the picture increased on the dyno. Unfortunately I don't have the results since I didn't pay for the dyno time. Cam, carb, compression has a lot to do with risers, a worn out nailhead can't be used in the comparison.

Thanks
    Nailhead

Spacer

Before buying any kind of spacers crab or intake dnt forget to check hood clearance when engine is running and in both gears. Dnt want to run a shorter element or air cleaner for clearance. It will cancel out the performance end of it. Restricting the exhaust cross over helps with heating of the float bowls. And intake spacers due help for performance cams for power but stock cams they usually turn the nailheads into a gas hog.

You don't have to add a spacer to increase performance of a stock manifold. You can remove most of the center plenum as done by "Doc" with his 2X4 manifold here:
    https://www.teambuick.com/forums/con...-port-matching

Once opened up, you can lower or remove the center divider for higher rpm range.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

That spacer would be perfect, but I sure don’t want reduced power.

spacers are pretty cheap. you can find them new for ~10 bucks and you can buy them all day long for $30.

go to a swap meet, and you can probably get a guy to throw a carb spacer in with another purchase.

get a spacer, go to a track or empty lot and make a couple of passes ( get a consistent time ), put the spacer on and see what happens. if it's bad, take it off.

tain't rocket surgery.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0601p...ap-horsepower/
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    That spacer would be perfect, but I sure don’t want reduced power.

spacers are pretty cheap. you can find them new for ~10 bucks and you can buy them all day long for $30.

go to a swap meet, and you can probably get a guy to throw a carb spacer in with another purchase.

get a spacer, go to a track or empty lot and make a couple of passes ( get a consistent time ), put the spacer on and see what happens. if it's bad, take it off.

tain't rocket surgery.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0601p...ap-horsepower/

i agree Bob

thank you to all that replied!!
    Nailhead

Brian,

Of ALL the reply's on V8 I don't understand????
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    Brian,

Of ALL the reply's on V8 I don't understand????

Dont understand ?
    I posted the same question on both sites simultaneously.

the other site gave me much better feedback. I’ve decided to just go with a carb spacer.
    i have a 1” intake spacer I would have loved to use, but not at reduced power. If it was a push or no benefit I’d use it as I sure could use it for clearance with the new finned valley cover & dual quad intake.

thank you
    Nailhead

I would have simply described the effects of a spacer are to increase the rpm range of the engine. That can be interpreted as it will increase power at higher rpm, usually about +1000 rpm, but it will be at the cost of low rpm power. The differences would not be significant enough to notice in normal driving and would require dyno testing to measure.

This is shown on the sbc test chart on bob k. mando's link.
    Last edited by Bob; 05-14-2018 at 12:16 PM.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!