- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump

Thread: Carb Vacuum line diagram

Unhappy Carb Vacuum line diagram

I got a 69 Wildcat with a 455 cu in engine out of a 74 Electra. I got a reman 4BBL Rochester Quad and I have no idea where the vacuum lines go. Can anyone help me w/a link to website(can't seem to find anything on the internet), or a photo of an 74 Electra Engine compartment to see how the vacuum lines are set up....Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by mbreeeze View Post
    I got a 69 Wildcat with a 455 cu in engine out of a 74 Electra. I got a reman 4BBL Rochester Quad and I have no idea where the vacuum lines go. Can anyone help me w/a link to website(can't seem to find anything on the internet), or a photo of an 74 Electra Engine compartment to see how the vacuum lines are set up....Thanks!!
    I hope that remanufactured Q-jet runs OK for you. My experience with them is down right terrible. They put the carburetors together from a pile of parts, and the tune is generic so it is hit or miss. Anyone who knows Q-jets will not even accept them for a rebuild. The Q-jet is a very refined carburetor. It was calibrated for the engine year and model it went on. That is much more than jets and rods, it is air bleeds as well. There are several guys out there that will custom build a Q-jet for you engine. That is the way to go.

Having said that, there is no one way to connect vacuum lines to the carburetor. The main connections are the PCV line, the distributor vacuum advance, the air cleaner, and the vacuum storage container (on the fender or firewall) for the climate control. On a stock 74 engine, there likely is a thermo-vacuum switch on the intake with vacuum hoses going to it. That is for emissions and you can eliminate it.

There are 2 types of vacuum at the carburetor, ported and manifold. It's easy to tell the difference with the engine running at idle. If you pull off a cap on the connection and it hisses, that is manifold vacuum. If there is no sound, that is ported vacuum.

The climate control and air cleaner get manifold vacuum. The climate control nipple is usually out the back center of the carburetor.

The distributor vacuum advance is ported vacuum

The PCV connection is at the front of the carburetor base plate. It is a big 3/8" connection. You can use a length of 3/8" fuel line hose, but there is a molded hose available. It goes around the passenger side of the carburetor and plugs into the PCV valve at the back of the intake manifold.

That's it, plug everything else, and all will be fine.
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

In any case, this diagram is from the 1974 Buick Chassis manual. Notice the Thermo-Vacuum switch on the front of the intake. I could not get the page flat on the scanner. At the top, the vacuum connector. The hose going to the back of the connector is to the air cleaner. The hose going to the right goes to the A.I.R diverter valve for the Air pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800