From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: For those of you who do all the labor on your cars...

Question For those of you who do all the labor on your cars...

Until recently, I have been looking everywhere for a door spring for P.G.'s driver door to remain open. I've now acquired an NOS spring. I looked on the passenger door hinge to see maybe how to install it. It appears that some body work will need be done to reveal the spring's receiving end. Can anyone explain if this is accurate OR is there indeed a way that I will be able to attach the spring myself. (Remember, I'm not a mechanic). Thank you for your time & all suggestions are most welcome.

Here's a page from the body manual showing the hold open spring on the bottom of the lower hinge. With the door wide open, maybe it is possible to snap the loop of the spring over the inner tab and then stretch the hook end of the spring over the outer tab? Probably takes two people.

A stout tool will be needed to extend the spring. Something like an ice pick bent into a U-shape at the end. Or a loop of heavy wire that can be cut once the spring is seated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Could a brake spring tool work?

They make an inexpensive tool for that. It would be best to know year, make & model.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    They make an inexpensive tool for that. It would be best to know year, make & model.
    1962 Buick Invicta Sport Coupe, model 4647.

Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post
    Here's a page from the body manual showing the hold open spring on the bottom of the lower hinge. With the door wide open, maybe it is possible to snap the loop of the spring over the inner tab and then stretch the hook end of the spring over the outer tab? Probably takes two people.

A stout tool will be needed to extend the spring. Something like an ice pick bent into a U-shape at the end. Or a loop of heavy wire that can be cut once the spring is seated.
    I'll have to view this post on my laptop as I can't activate the attachments. Stay tuned... (& thanx).

Apparently I have to view this on my laptop. Stay tuned... (& thank you, Todd).

MUCH appreciation for the photo, Todd.

At least I now know the route the spring needs to travel to get from one anchor to the other. That's half the battle.