Thread: Driver side door glass change

Driver side door glass change

So I have a 1953 special 4 door with a broken driver side front door window. I have procured a new window but I thought I might ask here on any tips and tricks of getting the old one out and the new one in. I have taken off the door panel and seen that there's not much room in the way of access to the actual window. There's a tiny hole on the right side of the door and a plate that comes off on the left side. I looked at the 52 manual with no luck.

Door glass is one of those things that is easy for an experienced person, but difficult for a novice. I suggest that you remove the old glass and track, and take it to a professional to set the new glass in the track for you. If you try to do this yourself, you could easily break the new glass and then you would have to start all over again.

Give me a call and I will try to explain to you how to remove and replace the door glass. It is fairly complex, and takes some time to explain clearly. My number is 360-574-8070.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rcfryer View Post
    Door glass is one of those things that is easy for an experienced person, but difficult for a novice. I suggest that you remove the old glass and track, and take it to a professional to set the new glass in the track for you. If you try to do this yourself, you could easily break the new glass and then you would have to start all over again.

Give me a call and I will try to explain to you how to remove and replace the door glass. It is fairly complex, and takes some time to explain clearly. My number is 360-574-8070.
    Thanks! When I get ready to do it I'll definitely give you a call.

Did you see the replacement of door glass instructions in chapter 13 of the '52 shop manual? It starts on page 13-28 and moves around to other sections of the chapter. Hopefully those pages are enough cover any questions. The '51-'53 Special doors are very similar.

Attached is an exploded parts view of a '53 Super 4-dr sedan front door that may help with part names. Not exactly the same as the Special, but close.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TODD; 04-27-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Add attachment
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post
    Did you see the replacement of door glass instructions in chapter 13 of the '52 shop manual? It starts on page 13-28 and moves around to other sections of the chapter. Hopefully those pages are enough cover any questions. The '51-'53 Special doors are very similar.

Attached is an exploded parts view of a '53 Super 4-dr sedan front door that may help with part names. Not exactly the same as the Special, but close.
    Thanks! I'll look again