- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stubbe

stubbe

I wonder of smoking Nailhead 322.My engine smokes out of oilfilling cap.Engine takes no oil,Working fine but is smelly under hood when warm.Is the tube from pan under intakemanifold clugged?Enywone ho has the same problem?Give me hints.Stubbe in Sweden.

that's piston blow-by. it may ( or may not ) indicate that some of your rings are bad. which you can check by compression testing all of the cylinders.

if your 322 is not equipped with a PCV ( Positive Crankcase pressure Ventilation ) valve, you could plumb one into one of your valve covers.

it's impossible to eliminate all combustion blow by, so the crankcase is going to have a certain amount of positive pressure while running no matter what UNLESS
    1 - you install a Dry Sump oiling system
    2 - you install a vacuum pump to the crankcase
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Stubbe

Don't forget to make sure the PCV valve is functioning properly. Since it doesn't use any oil.

http://www.buickrestorer.com/valleycover.html
    Service the valley cover first; change oil second; third: drive at highway speeds for at least 100 miles to evaporate any volatile contaminants in the engine; check back!

stubbe

Hello Buickfriends allover.My question of nailhead 322 54 smoke oil.What PCV?Only ventilation is in tube from pan under intake manifold,and oil filler cap.I have spare valvecovers from a later engine whit holes for oilcaps.But i wonder why the smoke dont goes out under car?I dont think rings are so bad ,she does not smoke in exhaust pipes,not consume any oil.The sparks is like new.Can i modify whit my later headcovers?Stubbe in Sweden.

The mesh in the valley pan is plugged up, reason no smoke coming out of draft tube. I ALWAYS install PCV valves even if they didn't come equipped with them. Keeps under hood cleaner from no oil mist, that can't really be seen, & keeps the internals of the engine cleaner when working correctly.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Pcv

Would you install them on a straight eight? I have thought about doing so. Just not sure of the method .

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    The mesh in the valley pan is plugged up, reason no smoke coming out of draft tube. I ALWAYS install PCV valves even if they didn't come equipped with them. Keeps under hood cleaner from no oil mist, that can't really be seen, & keeps the internals of the engine cleaner when working correctly.
    Tom,
    How exactly do you do that? Do you use a later carburetor swap. The PCV is basically a controlled vacuum leak. Doesn't the carburetor need to be calibrated for that? If you simply plumb it into the existing carburetor base plate, wouldn't that lean the engine out?
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

stubbe

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    Hello every Buickfriends.Pcv ?valve?I dont understand.But if my valleypan is clogged up,is it better to clean up???
    The nail was not smoking when its was new i suppose.Is there a bad solution from fabrik?Oilsmoke and why have they done
    different headcovers?Plese tell me.Sorry of bad spelling.Tanks for answers.Stubbe in Sweden.

Stubbe

Yes cleaning the mesh or replacing it with new will be necessary. That will help your engine breath and balance out the pressure buildup. By installing a PCV valve it will cut back on the oil residue that vents out the vent tube. It will also help with the oil smell