Thread: Steering arms

Steering arms

I am replacing my straight eight with a Buick V-8 with means I have to update the steering. There is no room for the factory power steering gear. My car drives great so I want to leave the factory front suspension but install rack and pinion steering. This requires shorter steering arms. Does anyone know of a list of steering arms with dimensions. I need steering arms of about 5 1/2 inches long and off a car with 124 inch wheel base for proper ackerman angle.

v8

PLEASE tell me you are not using a SBC.

Ben

Dual four barrel 425 nailhead. My goal is for the 425 to look like it came there from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by suntreemcanic View Post
    Dual four barrel 425 nailhead. My goal is for the 425 to look like it came there from the factory.
    Whew! I was worried for nothing. When is this happening?

Ben

I have been fitting the new engine, experimenting with different exhaust manifolds and trying to fit a regular steering gear, but the frame rails are just to narrow, so I have a rack and pinion fitted in there setting on some wooden blocks. The exhaust manifold will clear, room for a factory starter, a brake cylinder mounted in about the factory location with a remote mount vacuum booster behind the front fender. My other concern is power steering pump missing the knee action shocks. This will not be done before next spring. I then have to mount a rear end.

I just got done putting a power rack in from a 1990 Chev Cavalier and others. It fits pretty well. These have the steering arms coming out of the middle and not the ends like most. I found an article on the Internet about doing this. I haven’t got the car going yet but I think it will work good.

I am trying to use a steering rack out of a Chevy Blazer. And to control bump steer I am going to make a "traveler bar" that fits on each end of the steering rack. Then you attach your tie rod end to it at the same length as your lower A frame. I would love to find some steering arms that would fit. Having to "carve" them out of steel will be a lot of work.

ttt ttt ttt