Thread: Arizona '66 Riviera

Arizona '66 Riviera

Hi there!
    My folks have almost always had Buicks. Matter of fact, Dad traded in his '49 Roadmaster on a '56 Roadmaster and I was off to the races! Growing up with that beautiful beast, I spent almost every weekend using a whisk broom (ancient cleaning tool!), along with Simonize paste wax, along with Comet cleanser (to keep the white walls WHITE), and it was always a pleasure to borrow the car (TORQUE MONSTER!) for a cruise though town! Lived in L.A. (the valley) & used to cruise Topanga Canyon Road to get to the beach, along with "Bob's Big Boy" hamburger stand on Van Nuys Blvd.

So I have always "played with cars" & in my "vintage years" have finally gotten ahold of one of the most beautiful body styles ever produced, in my opinion, a 1966 Riviera. Upon learning it's history, I found that it was sold in Denver at almost the same time I was stationed there at Fitzsimmons General Hospital. Who knows, I may have even street raced this same car back in the day! If so, I bet that I lost, as my little 289 Mustang wouldn't hold a candle to this 425 Nail Head!!

Since I have almost every option that this car came with provided to me from the previous owner's (30,000 mile car!), I'm seriously considering removing the factory installed dual quad setup and re-installing the single four barrel setup that was provided with the car. May even remove factory four barrel & replace it with a "carb looking efi setup" - something to consider, anyway.

Question: Should I list the Dual Quad setup here, on ebay, or perhaps both? Any info re: the sale of the dual quad's would be appreciated, also looking to sell the original chrome wheels (along with brand new whitewalls), as I have a set of American Torque Thrust 2's on order in 17 inch, so I won't be using the sweet Chrome wheels. (don't remember what the Buick "chrome styled steel wheels" were called..... Super Stock's??)

Anyway, I'm happy to have found this site of helpful Buick fan's!!!

Arizona '66 Riviera

Why do you want to remove the factory installed duel quad? Why not keep the car original?
    What is the engine code "MZ" or "MW"?
    Where in AZ are you? My friend, we are in AZ, has a 66 Riviera all original that I recently brought out of storage.

Arizona Riviera

I'm currently in the Surprise area. I have not checked for the engine code as yet, due to a back problem, but hope to soon.
    My reason for possibly selling the dual quad setup is that a single four barrel intake & carb came with the car & I was hoping to reduce fuel consumption versus the dual quad setup. Also, I may purchase an EFI setup and get faster start up, better fuel mileage & throttle response. If it turns out that this is one of "the ghost cars", then I'll for sure keep the dual quads, but still not run them for the reasons stated. I love the '66, but I'm not opposed to bringing it up to modern standards in some areas - just as long as it remains stock in appearance.
    Where are you located?

Arizona '66 Riviera

I would love to see your Riviera
    I am your neighbor .. I live in Sun City West

I believe a properly set up dual quad set up should get similar milage to a single carb or so close you can't tell. Check out the reference section for set up.

Many of the dual set up I see are not set up properly because the cushion spring (optional ) on the progresive linkage is too heavy and both carbs are opening from almost an idle. When properly set up, you have to open the primary carb's primary bores to 1/2 throttle before the secondary carbs primary bore begin to open. Anyone without a lead foot should be able to drive comfortably on the first carb's primarys.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

dual quads

Bob;
    Thanks for the info! I have never owned a vehicle with a dual quad setup, so I have no idea as to how they behave, perform, etc. Just seemed like it would be running more fuel, but your explanation makes complete sense. Besides, the dual quads DO look SEXY!!
    I'll get more into the quads as I do a tune up on the car, as I have not had the car very long, but previous owner did say it ran "alright - just a little rich", so we'll see.
    Once again, THANKS!
    Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I believe a properly set up dual quad set up should get similar milage to a single carb or so close you can't tell. Check out the reference section for set up.

Many of the dual set up I see are not set up properly because the cushion spring (optional ) on the progresive linkage is too heavy and both carbs are opening from almost an idle. When properly set up, you have to open the primary carb's primary bores to 1/2 throttle before the secondary carbs primary bore begin to open. Anyone without a lead foot should be able to drive comfortably on the first carb's primarys.

Closer than I thought!

Surprise!!! I live in SCW also! I used the Surprise area ID as it seems more understandable to most. Great to hear we're neighbors! I live by the Beardsley Rec Center - where are you located? I purchased my '66 a little over a month ago, and have finally received it, as it came from a collector in Georgia. It's in real great shape, just in need of a tune up, I believe, so I'll be starting on that soon. It came with a lot of "extra parts", original documentation, etc. and it's just turned onto 30,000 miles! I can't wait to get it titled & on the road.
    What color is yours? Mine is "Silver Green Mist", I believe - a very nice color in my opinion.
    I'd like to get your number - is it "safe" to exchange numbers on this site? Let me know.....
    Curt

Quote Originally Posted by jaytee2014 View Post
    I would love to see your Riviera
    I am your neighbor .. I live in Sun City West

Arizona '66 Riviera

Hi Curt,
    Do you belong to ARC?
    My Riv is Riviera white.
    I live over by Grand & Meeker email jtsears11cox.net you know the is to be replaced with @.
    tel two oh seven six, six, oh five zero five one
    John
    Last edited by jaytee2014; 03-31-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: additional info