Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with 1940 Special Coupe needs starter motor

Newbie with 1940 Special Coupe needs starter motor

Hoping to get started on a long neglected 1940 Special 46 coupe that was purchased long ago without the short block. Looking at purchasing a 263 from a 1953 Special with a manual transmission. However, the 263 straight eight does not have a starter motor. Will the starter motor from the 1940 248 fit? If not, what years will fit?

starter

I believe it will.

I have always wanted a '40 coupe.

Ben

1953 263 Starter & 1950 263?

Ben, Thanks for your response.

The starter on a 1950 straight eight that I am looking at locally looks identical to the starter on my 1940's 248. I am having trouble determining if the 1950 engine is a 248 (Special) or 263 (Super). I measured the cylinder head at 30-1/2" therefore ruling out the 320. The distance from the oil pan to the valve cover is 14-1/2 and the tappet cover width is 5-3/8". The owner of the engine was told that it came out of a Roadmaster, but the hood has only 3 portholes. The bumpers, hood and one fender, as well as the engine and AT are all that is available and the fender has no model nameplate.

Wayne

1950 engine.

Wayne, if I may see pictures of it I can identify it. Specifically the driver side from manifold down. Good view of the side of the block. Engine number, from pass side just in front of the distributor if 248/263 or behind the distributor if 320, will identify year.

Just saw your post with engine #. It decodes to a '50 248. 1950 numbers started with 5,568,017 4. The 4 at the end indicates 40 series[ Special] 1951 #s bagan at 6,240,100 4. The one you have questions about falls in between, therefore 1950. The last of the 248s.

Where you located? I have one that may be for sale. Just shy of 10,000 miles on a complete rebuild. I just have to get my "heated bup " 263 back in the car and test it out.

Ben
    Last edited by firstofeight; 03-30-2018 at 06:40 PM. Reason: update

1950 Engine

Ben,

I did not post the local 1950's engine serial number, but thank you for pointing out that the last digit in the S/N identifies the car series. I had previously seen a list of the beginning S/N's on Buicks.net and knew that it did come from a 1950. The S/N is 592962I5, with the last digit "5" verifying that the engine is indeed a 263 from a series 50. Attached are a couple of photos, unfortunately none from the driver's side. From the S/N photo, it appears that the digit in front of the 5 is an "I". I recall seeing something while doing my research on the web that Buick occasionally used an "I" in it serial numbers.

The engine could not be rotated with a very long breaker bar. Besides being stuck pistons, a friend said that it might be due to the rear main seal sticking. As you can see from the photo, the engine has been stored inside. Of course, there can be many other reasons why it is stuck.

As the above engine has a Dynaflow connected to it, is it possible to machine and install a pilot bearing adapter in the crankshaft so that it can be used with a manual transmission? A machinist did that for me 55 years ago when I installed a 322 V-8 in my '48 Ford coupe when I was in high school. Quickly discovered that the 39 Ford transmission was not strong enough and installed a Cad-LaSalle. A blown pressure plate and the draft forced me to sell that car, which was scrapped while I was in the Army.

The 1953 263 located 280 miles away in central Wisconsin has a manual transmission.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

I live in Marshalltown, Iowa which is almost in the center of the state, about 45 miles NE of Des Moines, or 60 miles SW of Waterloo.

Wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wayne, I do not know where I saw that #. Sure can't find it now!

Indeed, the engine in your picture is a 1950 263, per the engine serial #. Tha "I" is Buick for 1. As well, a b is used for 6 and turned upside down for 9.

A couple "tells" for straight eight Buick engines. Quickest for 320 or 248/263 is the crankcase ventilation intake, driver side, is located at the FRONT on the 320 and at the BACK on 248/263. 1950 248 will vary from the 1948/1949 in that the water pump discharges into the side of the block, whereas earlier years , in the front behind the pump. Easiest way to tell a 248 from a 263 , the 263 has ribs on the cylinders on the driver side, front three going down to pan rail. Apparently a FEW 263s do not have the ribs, therefore the engine # must be checked. By the way, if the # is missing or incomplete or restamped on the side, it is on the front of the block , underneath the water pump. Pump must be removed to see it. You do know about the side motor mount pads on 1948 and later?

Yes on machining the crank. May have to redrill the flywheel mounting holes as well. I have read somewhere the spacing is different.

I have Grandchildren in that area of Iowa.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the '40

Ben

You will need to use a 1940 248ci front engine mounting plate to install the 263.
    Cannot use the front side mounts on the 263ci. Front mounts changed about 1948.
    Dave T may help with parts

Buick used I as 1 and b as 6 on engine serial numbers.
    When better Automobiles were built, Buick built Straight 8's

Buick Club of America
    and Buick Club of Australia

Ben,

Thanks for the reminder that the engines originally equipped with Dynaflow's have a different flange and bolt pattern on the rear of the crankshaft. Will the 1940 248 flywheel fit a 1950 263 Dynaflow crankshaft? I assume new holes must be drilled in the flywheel? I contacted someone in the UP of Michigan awhile back that had a 263 for sale that he was removing from his 1940 that originally had a Dynaflow behind it.

1939Buick,

I have an early 248 that has the front mounted motor mounts (please see the attached photo). I bought this engine after I purchased the 40 coupe, as the 40 coupe didn't have the block as it had frozen one winter prior to me obtaining the car. I have all of the original engine, but the short block. I don't recall the serial number, but I recall that it started with an R which I understand means it was a replacement. The car & engine is stored in a ware house and when the weather warms up later this week, I will get the S/N.

Thanks to both of you for your assistance.

Wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wayne, I am pretty sure the flywheel is the same. I have one from a '42 on my 263. I believe drilling the flywheel bolt holes will/does work.

On the engine with a # starting with R, remember ,remove the water pump and the original # should be there. I can't think it would have been removed. Then the exact year can be determined.

Pictures,pictures!

Ben

263 - 40 Special

Ben,

I haven't been able to gain access to the warehouse where the 40 Coupe is stored, but should be able to later this week. Will advise the S/N for the 248 purchased for the coupe.

Getting back to bolting a 1950 263 manufactured for a Dynaflow, I found the following thread from 5 years ago that says although it is possible bolt a standard shift flywheel to a Dynaflow crankshaft, it is quite difficult.
    https://www.teambuick.com/forums/arc...hp/t-22717.php

Therefore, I am going to pursue the 263 from a 1953 Special that has a standard transmission.

Wayne