From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: Nailhead into 1966 Skylark

Nailhead into 1966 Skylark

Hi all, I'm replacing the 300 cu.in in my '66 Skylark convertible with a 425 Nailhead & Switch Pitch Super Turbine 400.
    I'm in the process of rebuilding the 425 with a complete rebuild kit from T.A.Performance in Arizona,
    I've rebuilt the SP400 & fitted a Shift Kit. I've imported a rear sumped oil pan & pick-up tube.
    I've mocked up a spare stripped block to the trans & fitted them in the engine bay. I've moved the trans Cross-member back about 4" to allow the oil pan to clear the front cross-member by about 3/4" (hope that's enough)
    NOW THE BIG PROBLEM, Engine mounting !!! I know GS parts are what I need, but down here in New Zealand, they're totally unobtainable, & no-one knows much about this swap. I've Googled this swap & seen two different types of frame & engine adapter mounts. I did find a complete set-up including Exhaust Manifolds, but with Exchange rate & shipping & Import Duties, they would cost more than the whole car has cost me. I think I could manufacture these, but they don't show how they fit or what bolts to what or which way round they go ?
    ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!
    I do have a set of Header plates to make up a set of Headers, & not sure how to get around the starter problem yet,(worry about that later)
    this car I imported from Bakersville CA & have most of the parts to GS clone it, THANKS

The 65-66 GS Skylark used specific frame pads, adapter plates and motor mounts not used on any other vehicle. Attached are the best pictures I have of mine. I hope they help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

The adaptor plates in the picture in previous post can be made. I then used big block Chevy motor mounts and mounted them to the adaptor plates. The frame pads that the big block Chevy motor mounts fit are steel tubing. This will require welding, drilling and a lot of creative thought but Chevy motor mounts are cheap and probably more likely available in NZ than anything Buick. Go with big block mounts because they are built for the larger torque outputs like your 425 is capable of. My wife and I just spent 3 weeks in NZ during Jan and Feb this year. Beautiful country, great place for a vacation except for the looooong plane ride.
    Last edited by suntreemcanic; 03-28-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Kiwijeff,

I have MINI-STARTERS for the "Nail" that are MUCH SMALLER than stock & weigh 6lbs. 12 ozs. Others sell mini's also but I AM the originator & MINE FIT & work properly in the GS. That's what they were mainly designed for.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

mini starter

And he has them for the straight eight. I have one. It is great!

Ben

Thanks Ben for the thumbs up. Unless you chain the chevy mounts they break MUCH TOO EASILY.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"