From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buick 455 into a 67 gs special with a th400

buick 455 into a 67 gs special with a th400

hi guys.ok got my 340 out of my 67 gs and I am gonna put in a 455 with a th 400 got tranny figured with a shiftworks kit.next .with the 455 are there gonna be any isssues with motor mount and oil pans etc .any help would be appreciate .going with edelbrock aluminum heads edelbrock 4-b4 intake .msd plug and play distributor.carb ill figure out when doing the dyno on motor.

Quote Originally Posted by robs67gsspecial View Post
    hi guys.ok got my 340 out of my 67 gs and I am gonna put in a 455 with a th 400 got tranny figured with a shiftworks kit.next .with the 455 are there gonna be any isssues with motor mount and oil pans etc .any help would be appreciate .going with edelbrock aluminum heads edelbrock 4-b4 intake .msd plug and play distributor.carb ill figure out when doing the dyno on motor.
    That sound Alliso

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

You are basically recreating a 67 GS 400. It has a Buick 400 engine and ST 400 trans. The Buick 400 engine is the same size and has the same mounting points as a Buick 455. All of the GS 400 parts will work to fit the 455 into your 67 like it was made to be the there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Engine swap

Thanks I thought so but parts guy was telling me oil pan won't fit when I was ordering a oil pick up tube .

there are different oil pans for the 455, but i thought the oddball was the Riv with the X-frame needing a mid sump pan.

unless your 455 is out of a 1970 Riv i don't see why there should be a problem.

affected Rivs are the 1967-70 models and BBB used 69 and earlier would have only been 430ci.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

TA Performance has the frame pads and motor mounts to fit the 455 in a 64-67 (Skylark) GM A-Body. You will be moving your trans cross-member back, but there should be pre-drilled holes already in the frame and you will need a 400 transmission mount. Your driveshaft will need the 400 trans yoke (300 yoke has smaller diameter) and it will need to be shortened 5/8". Better then trusting a 50 year old driveshaft against a 455, I would have a new one made up by a drive-shaft shop. They tend to fail at the dampner joint toward the tail end. Look at that portion of it and it should give you a shiver. You will also need a radiator with more cooling capacity (67 GS), heavier front springs and to figure out the transmission lines (67 GS). Like Bob said, you will need the rear sump oil pan if you don't have it already.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

the BBB does use a different fan shroud than the SBB, so you'll need a new one of those.

the BBB has three holes on each side of the block, but the engine mount only uses two bolts per side. this allows you to mount the engine ~3" further forward or backwards.

use the front two holes for better weight balance and handling ( engine sets back ), use the rear two holes if you'd prefer more clearance at the firewall and trans tunnel.

while you're doing all this, you may as well incorporate an engine tie down strap for the driver side engine mount.

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/conversi.htm
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I've got 3 hoses coming off the water pump of a 430 wildcat motor I have in my 69 skylark. One hose goes to the block I think and the other two to the heater core does anyone have pictures of the proper way to connect the hoses.
    Thanks Ron

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by redron791 View Post
    I've got 3 hoses coming off the water pump of a 430 wildcat motor I have in my 69 skylark. One hose goes to the block I think and the other two to the heater core does anyone have pictures of the proper way to connect the hoses.
    Thanks Ron

No, take another look. There are two hose nipples coming off the timing cover. The one nearest the distributor is the bypass hose that goes to the thermostat housing. The other one is for the 3/4" heater hose to the core. The other heater hose comes off the intake manifold, and that was 5/8". Depending on whether the engine has A/C or not, if it uses a heater control valve, that valve goes inline between the intake and heater core. Some year engines, the 5/8" heater hose came off the rear of the intake, others, the front. In any case, you can't mess up because the hose nipples are two different sizes on the engine side as well as the core side.
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    No, take another look. There are two hose nipples coming off the timing cover. The one nearest the distributor is the bypass hose that goes to the thermostat housing. The other one is for the 3/4" heater hose to the core. The other heater hose comes off the intake manifold, and that was 5/8". Depending on whether the engine has A/C or not, if it uses a heater control valve, that valve goes inline between the intake and heater core. Some year engines, the 5/8" heater hose came off the rear of the intake, others, the front. In any case, you can't mess up because the hose nipples are two different sizes on the engine side as well as the core side.
    Thanks everything is that much clearer. Take a look at some pics. My goal is a working power steering unit.