From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55 Buick oil Leak

Post 55 Buick oil Leak

Hi everyone,
    I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction on an oil leak I've been struggling with.
    I have a 1955 Buick Century that we have been restoring for the last 5 years. Everything has been redone down to the frame. The engine was rebuilt and found to have the wrong lifters which ruined the cam not to mention producing no vacuum. That was corrected and for the most part everything moved forward with only a few hiccups.
    Now I'm down to an oil leak at the rear of the motor. We have pulled the oil pan and replaced the gasket with gasket and sealer. That helped but the leak continued. After eliminating any of the rear plugs leaking and checking the oil pressure gauge line and connection for leaks, we determined that it was the rear seal. Nobody makes a neoprene seal for this 322 engine so we were left with replacing the rope seal for one from Best Gaskets. Got it from Egge. We pulled the pan again and followed the directions from Egge to replace the seal. ( I need to state at this point that the old Fel-pro seal did not appear to have been leaking)
    After replacing the seal and pan gasket, we let the car set for a day to allow the silicone that was applied to the gasket dry. We also applied silicone to the ends of the rope seal and along the sides of the rubber seals that runs along the rear main cap. And yes, I installed the nails in the side seals.

So the next day I took the car our for a short test ride. Parked it over the lift and to my frustration had the same leak.

COULD SOMEONE OUT THERE HELP ME OUT PLEASE?
    I'm out of places to look. Have even used a bore scope to look around the flex plate and the rear of the engine. Found no oil up there.

Buickfool in Phoenix.

55 oil leak

First thing you should do put it on a hoist and clean the back of the engine. Even up by the rear oil galleys with brake clean and pressured air. Than start the car raise it up and look with a black light. You should be able to see it. Might have to have someone in the car to hold the rpm at steady speed to simulate driving conditions.

Thanks jnelson
    We already tried this. Removed the inspection pan and cleaned behind everything. Started the car and still got a leak. With dye in the oil we still could not determine where it was coming from. Will try again tomorrow.
    I should also note that the car leaks more if driven. When it is up on the lift and running it only leaks a little. Does that help diagnose the problem???

55 oil leak

Did you have it just idling or did you have someone inside holding the rpm around 2,000?

I just let it idle for like 20 minutes.

55 oil leak

You need to simulate driving conditions. So have someone in the car holding rpm roughly the same as if you were driving it. The increase of oil pressure should make it easier for you to find the leak.

You are right. I think I found the leak under the valve cover gasket. Even thou we applied silicone to these gaskets, it looks like a very small area is seeping oil in a very hard to see spot.
    Will replace the gasket this week and see if the fixes the problem. Will let you know.
    Thanks JNelson for your help.

I have the modern neoprene seals in stock for the 322's. Also for the front seal. Comes with directions & the sealer I use. If installed properly & the crank sealing area is in good condition this SHOULD solve your problem if your still having one.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Hi Telriv
    Yes I would like to buy the rear main seal if I can get them in neoprene. Please call me at 602-469-0047. Mike

Well I ran the car at 2000 rpm for 7 minutes and it did leak. Looked like it was coming from behind the right valve cover. Replaced the seal and ran again. This time I still had a leak and it was not coming from the valve cover. So I check where the oil pressure gauge ties into the block just below the valve cover. No leak there so I'm stumped.
    What happens is the oil leaks in that area , runs down the right side of the engine, drips along the lower part of the bell housing and drips at the connection bracket for the oil filter.
    Doesn't appear to be a main seal and the pressure gauge line is not leaking. Also replaced the gasket for the oil filter connection.
    I'm stumped. Any addition help would be appreciated.
    Mike