From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: 700r4 transmission swap to 1956 buick special

700r4 transmission swap to 1956 buick special

Hi - I'm a new member hot off the press...lol. I recently bought a '56 Buick Special, nut & bolt restoration, 1 family owned. I previously owned one of these approx. 40yrs ago & due to family obligations had to part with it. It has been on my wishlist ever since. Looked high & low in both Canada & USA for well over 3yrs and was not able to locate one where the condition and money were to my standard until recently. I loved the car then & still love it now however as a high performance enthusiast and as person that appreciates getting the most out of things especially mechanically...haha, the one shortcoming of these cars was the 2 speed 'slushbox' transmission. I recently purchased a brand new 700R4 & I wish to make this swap into my Buick needless to say this will transform the well renound torque & efficiency of the Nailhead engine into what will seem like a new car once completed. I know there must be other Buick fans out there of whom have done this. I do realize that because of the non-open drive-shaft/torque tube configuration that this will not be a typical situation. Any and All Help outlining the required operations/steps/parts needed will be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance for any assistance rendered. P.S. I have started to do a little advance homework and spoke with what seemed to be a very knowledgable Buick guy from Centreville Auto Repair - he told me that a 3rd member from a '61/'62 Buick would be of great advantage in accomplishing this. He was crazy busy at the time & could not expand on this recommendation - anyone out there that can add the how & why to this advise?

I did the 61 Buick third member and ended up taking it out. Poor handling and gear ratio. I have jaguar independent rear suspension that uses a dana 44 now and its the best thing Ive done for the car. Making a transmission mount with the X portion of the frame is a breeze.

https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...entury-Project