- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: 65 Riviera Gran Sport with Warranty Replacement Engine

65 Riviera Gran Sport with Warranty Replacement Engine

Gentlemen,
    I am new to this forum and am in the process of researching a 1965 Riviera Gran Sport for purchase. The car has a 425 with dual quads. I already know that the serial number on the block does not match the last eight digits of the VIN. The seller is checking whether the engine might have been replaced under warranty. If this turns out to be the case, can anyone comment on what this (i.e., warranty engine replacement) would do to the value of the car? It is otherwise a very clean and straight car with just some surface rust and a good interior. The trim tag seems to reflect the options on the car accurately, so it seems the rest of the car is worthwhile for restoration.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Baseballdad

it's indisputable that not having the original engine is going to hurt the resale price and is going to ding you in any concours judging.

on the plus side, Buicks don't tend to have the grossly inflated prices of Ferd / Chevy / Dodge, so it's not going to absolutely kill the resale ... because it's not bubbled up anyways.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Does it still have its original transmission and rear end? Any original paperwork? If you can't "prove" it is a factory Gran Sport, its market value would likely be that of "non Gran Sport". See article below on how to ID a Gran Sport. If you can prove it is a Gran Sport, it will still be worth less, since it doesn't have its original engine. Whether it is a "factory replacement" engine or not doesn't really matter unless you have paperwork to prove it. Otherwise, it is just a "replacement engine", which will definitely hurts its value.

https://rivowners.org/features/Ev_Stats/65gs/

Re: 65 Gran Sport with Warranty Replacement Engine

To all: Many thanks for the quick (and excellent) replies to my question. They provide me with several things to check and perhaps some leverage if I decide to negotiate a sale!

I know my post is a couple of months old, but I have a friend who has a factory rerplaced engine in his '65 Gran Sport. He has the dealer paper work to back up the warranty replacement. On his engine, there are no Engine Serial number (VIN stampings) or Production Code stampings. The only thing that he has to back up a warranty claim is the paperwork. I'd say that if the engine that's now in the car has an engine serial number, then it was in fact in another car at one time.

There are pictures in the reference section that show where these lumbers are stamped.