- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Thinking about a 322 Build

Thinking about a 322 Build

The 264 in my 55 Special is a real dog. But I've heard Century's were pretty quick. I've also read about Fireball Roberts beating Hemi powered Chrysler's with a Century. So I think a 322 is enough. Plus I like the car to look stock when you open the hood. I'm having a tough time finding a 322 to build in the New Jersey area, but I keep finding 322 blocks or complete motors on the other side of the country. Right now there's a 53 short block on ebay for $500 that needs a rebuild. I've read 53 was the worst version of the 322 and 56 was the best. Could I run 56 pistons, cam and lifters, with my heads on the 53 block?

Quote Originally Posted by My55buick View Post
    The 264 in my 55 Special is a real dog. But I've heard Centurys were pretty quick. I've also read about Fireball Roberts beating Hemi powered Chrysler's with a Century. So I think a 322 is enough. Plus I like the car to look stock when you open the hood. I'm having a tough time finding a 322 to build in the New Jersey area, but I keep finding 322 blocks or complete motors on the other side of the country. Right now there's a 53 short block on ebay for $500 that needs a rebuild. I've read 53 was the worst version of the 322 and 56 was the best. Could I run 56 pistons, cam and lifters, with my heads on the 53 block?

What about a later model 401 nail head? Easy swap and you get rid of that dynaflow and get a 3 speed automatic.
    Looks original to the untrained eye. I did one in a friend's 56 Special. I've driven a rebuilt and healthy 1956 322/ dynaflow car and it got the car up to speed but wasn't impressive. If original under hood appearance and power are your goals, go with the biggest nail head you can find.

322 engine

If Illinois isn't too far for you, I have a running 322 from a 1956 Century with a rebuild Dynaflow transmission. The engine had the drivers side dual exhaust manifold. Send me a message if you are interested.

1956 Buick Century Estate Wagon

The 264 in my 55 Special is a real dog. But I've heard Century's were pretty quick. I've also read about Fireball Roberts beating Hemi powered Chrysler's with a Century. So I think a 322 is enough. Plus I like the car to look stock when you open the hood. I'm having a tough time finding a 322 to build in the New Jersey area, but I keep finding 322 blocks or complete motors on the other side of the country. Right now there's a 53 short block on ebay for $500 that needs a rebuild. I've read 53 was the worst version of the 322 and 56 was the best. Could I run 56 pistons, cam and lifters, with my heads on the 53 block?
    Best to start with a 56 engine, but you can build the 53 block as a 56 and use your 55 heads. Some 56 pistons will hit the 55 head, so careful assembly will need to be done.
    If the 264 in not totally worn out, you can wake it up: 4 barrel, 56 cam, lifters and pushrods, 1:5 rockers from later nails, dual exhaust, 3.9 rear gears from 55 standard tranny car.

My 264 only has 60k on it, and really runs good, now that I sorted the carb issue out. I have good compression and oil pressure, It's just slow... I bought a WCFB and a 4 barrel manifold for it a while ago I just haven't put it on yet. Does the 56 cam really help that much?

My 264 only has 60k on it, and really runs good, now that I sorted the carb issue out. I have good compression and oil pressure, It's just slow... I bought a WCFB and a 4 barrel manifold for it a while ago I just haven't put it on yet. Does the 56 cam really help that much?
    Any one thing will help a little, but doing all will help the most. Try the easy things first: WCFB and 1:5 rockers. Also my my little nails run best with the timing advanced: 7.5-10* BTDC.
    What transmission do you have? How do you drive it?

Its beeb a project forever and until recentlt it hasnt been safe enough to really drive above 15mph. Not that its driveable I've really only taken it for rides around town, but I intend to daily drive it this summer, so lots of highway and some around town. I have a Dynaflow and pulling off from an exit ramp to a high way seems just **** scary... I've tried taking off hard from a light and it just kind of waddle's out. Seems like it would benefit from more gear but finding gears has been nearly impossible. Once you get it going it's not bad it's just getting there...

Also is it worth busing the 401 rockers? I heard they have the highest stock ratio.

The 1:6 rockers (401) will help the 264 and a future 322 build if you go that way. Be sure the 'switch-pitch' on the dynaflow is working (detailed in your service manual). Some will disagree, but starting in Low and shifting at 45-60 mph will help if needed. I seldom do that now on my Centurys, but my original Special's dynaflow only lasted 300K miles 'driving like I stole it'.
    Last edited by 322bnh; 02-23-2018 at 02:23 PM.

The later aluminum rockers are ALL 1.6 ratio & fit ALL "nails". Usually adds about 10HP.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    The later aluminum rockers are ALL 1.6 ratio & fit ALL "nails". Usually adds about 10HP.
    I edited my post above to reflect the correct ratio.