Thread: 53 buick seat uninstall

53 buick seat uninstall

I'm about to take the front and rear seat out of my 53 Buick special 4 door to be reupholstered. Anybody out there done this? Any tips tricks or things I need to look out for?

The back seat cushion is easily removed by pushing the lower front of the seat cushion rearward and then upward. When the front is loose, the seat cushion can be lifted out of the car.
    The rear backrest should have two short metal straps extending downward from the backrest frame. These are fastened to the car by either a single bolt in each strap, or a metal tab bent over or through the strap. Once the straps are loosened, push rearward on the backrest while lifting it upward. It should slide up and release from three tabs and then can be removed from the car.
    The front seat is bolted to the floor of the car by 8 bolts. They are located on the seat tracks, front and rear, and on both sides. When these bolts are removed, the seat can be lifted out of the car. The seat is heavy, and requires two people to remove it. One will have to carry their end through the car, being careful not to scratch the paint in the door openings.
    The front seat backrest is connected to the bottom seat frame with four bolts; two on each side of the seat. If the seat has end caps that are screwed on, they will have to be removed to access the bolts. If the seat does not have end caps, the upholstery from the backrest will be attached at the bottom of the seat cushion with hog rings. Remove the hog rings and fold back the material to expose the bolts. You may have to push the material up slightly to reveal the upper bolt. There may also be a flap that fastens to the bottom of the seat (springs) that is part of the backrest cover. You will need to remove the hog rings that attach the flap to the springs before the bolts can be removed. Once these bolts are removed, the backrest and the cushion will separate and the individual covers can be removed.
    After all of the seat sections are separated, the remaining hog rings can be removed to free the covers. Then the covers can be removed by turning them inside out, starting at each corner of the cover. There are wires in the pockets that are sewn to the edges of the covers. Remove the wires and keep them aside for the new upholstery.
    If you run into any issues when doing this, feel free to call me and I will help guide you through the process. Good luck.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Thanks a lot! Very informative. This will make the job that much easier. If I have any issues I'll let you know. Once again thanks.