From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: Anyone Here Put A Rear Sway Bar On Their C Body?

Anyone Here Put A Rear Sway Bar On Their C Body?

Hello board newbie here with a question. Has anybody put a rear sway bar on their full size Buick? In particular I'm looking to install one on my 1967 Electra convertible.

I've seen the Addco sway bar kit part # 2419 and was wondering if anyone has used this part or have any other suggestions. I have non boxed rear control arms on the car now but have seen their kits for A bodies come with a filler plate for the bottom of the arms. Does this kit include these parts also or do I have to find boxed or solid arms to replace what's in there now? I haven't been able to find any answers about this kit anywhere including from any of the usual performance parts sales outlets. All the kit descriptions are vague and don't contain the info I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for any help. - Bill

edit: I have already installed a 1 1/8" front sway bar on the front of the car so no worries for adding a 1" bar to the rear.
    Last edited by oldfoneguy; 02-21-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: additional info

I think you will find that you have to purchase the fillers for the rear control arms separately or simply modify the ones you have.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

bad Bob! you didn't link your own article on fabbing boxed control arms.

https://www.teambuick.com/forums/vie..._trailing_arms

are you actually cornering hard enough that you really need a rear bar? sway bars reduce body roll in turns, more bar will induce less body roll. however, it does this by compressing the inside suspension and a big bar can actually pick the inside tire up off the ground if you're cornering hard enough.

what this means for handling is that, if you've got issues with the front of the car understeering now, the rear bar will help even that out ... by reducing traction at the rear of the car.

you'll probably never notice that effect on the street, unless maybe in the wet.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I'm planning on using this car on some twisty 2 lane roads in the Adirondack mountains in northern NY. Not always just summer time including a huge car show takes over the town of Lake George at the end of the season. I have no plans for throwing this barge hard into the turns but sometimes they just appear up there and its best to be prepared. The new swaybar and rebuild really tightened up the front but even with new springs and shocks it still kind of wobbles in the back. The narrow wheel wells keep the car under tired for its size especially with the brackets for the skirts in the way. An improvement will be appreciated. - Bill