Thread: Newbie with a '67 Electra 225 Convertible

Newbie with a '67 Electra 225 Convertible

Hello all. Just joined and will enjoy sharing info with other classic Buick owners.
    My car is in excellent original condition needing only a front end rebuild due to deterioration of the front end rubber components.
    61,000 original miles and was only an old mans garaged weekend toy it's whole life. - Bill

cruisin with style! you'll be makin all the Caddy's jealous.

i assume you mean telco?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Yes Bob I'm an escapee (retired) from the Northeast's major landline carrier.
    Happiness is the phone company in your Electra convertible's rear view mirror!

NYNEX?

i did contract records work for Bell Atlantic ( post merger ) back in the 1990s around DC.
    Vladimir Lenin

I started in the 90's and went through 3 company names starting with nynex with the last and current being the worst of the lot. They went from bad management and generous overtime to worse management while becoming tightwads Glad I'm out but I feel for my buddies still stuck there.

Thanks for the link Bob that was really cool. - Bill

They went from bad management and generous overtime to worse management while becoming tightwads

to some extent, that's cyclical.

i went to VA because they had spent years not posting jobs to records, because they didn't want to pay for headcount in the drafting shop. so we went in as contractors to clean up the mess. when i started, we were something like 5 years behind.

in the Fairfax / Arlington / Alexandria district.

which covers everything from the NHTSA to the Pentagon to the CIA to Washington's farm.

needless to say, when we got there, OSP records were pretty much useless.

they gave us free access to the building and told us to getter done. i could take home four figures a week ... if i worked 72 hrs and 15 minutes. which i did multiple times.

then they went on a layoff spree in 02. and all the contractors got let go instantly, because you can't layoff union people when you've got contractors on site.

*shrugs*

i saw a telco trade magazine at the end of 02 which claimed that telecom shed 300,000 jobs that year.
    Vladimir Lenin

Not trying to be cynical Bob but I guess this was one of those situations that "you had to be there".
    When the current management team walked in on their very first day they gathered the staff of the garage and their introduction opened with the statement "we don't want the union here and we are going to do whatever we can to break you". A charming first meeting to say the least. What followed were management attacks on individuals for the slightest infractions that resulted in disciplinary actions. Things continued to get worse from there and it was time to go. In the years I've been gone from there I have been told it has become 10 times more extreme. I'm just happy to be free. - Bill

"we don't want the union here and we are going to do whatever we can to break you". A charming first meeting to say the least.

hah. then they probably shouldn't have a bought a unionized labor company, eh?

Bell Atlantic management never impressed me either, but that was more due to incompetence than overt antagonism ( so far as i could tell ). i was there when CWA went on strike in ... 99ish?

being contract, i was expected to cross the lines ... and the Union people pretty much left us ( the contractors ) alone. whoo boy, did the non-Union BA co workers catch bloody hell when they came across the picket lines though.

BA folded in less than five days.

what. the. hell. what was the point? all management did was tell the union that management doesn't have any *****. the same message that would have been conveyed the other direction if the union folded that fast.

if you've gotten to the point of striking and BOTH parties aren't willing to go at least a month then SOMEBODY wasn't very **** serious about negotiations.

so my expectation would be that the NEXT time a contract comes up for negotiation, the union is pretty much going to walk all over the BA management. because, why should they take BA management seriously?

i guess i need a college degree and a six figure salary to understand the nuances of corporate negotiation techniques.

herp derp.
    Vladimir Lenin