- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications

Thread: '72 - '80 SBB heads

'72 - '80 SBB heads

Hi all.

I’m new to the board, but not so new to my '72 GS 350 (bought it in '94). It’s basically stock except for a 2-1/2 manifold-back exhaust and Flowmasters. I’ve been getting the itch to do a mild top end rebuild project and gain some much needed HP. Nothing crazy since it sees light street use only.

One area for improvement I’m considering is targeted porting/polishing of the cast heads. I recently picked up a spare set (casting no. 1243452) which I understand spanned several years. Since they came cheap I’m not afraid to try porting these on my own, once I learn more about how to (and how not to) for the performance improvements I’m looking for.

Before I disassemble and have them cleaned/magged, I’d like to know more about these heads:

1. Their production spanned '72 - '80 from what I’ve read. Are any years of this particular casting code more desirable?

2. How do I know what year these particular ones were produced? Each has “A•5” marked on the top left side as well.

3. How do I know if they are smog-equipped, and if they are, how do I “un-equip” them? ;-)

4. In general, is it worth me working on this particular set, or are there other more desirable (so harder to find) SBB heads that I should be searching for?

I’m not much interested in modifying the heads on my car because a) it’s together/drivable now, b) if I sell the car I’d like to give the next guy the opportunity to restore it, and c) in case I mess up the heads I won’t spoil b) by doing so.

Thanks for your help!

dimensionally, the 350 heads are pretty much the same throughout the entire 1968-81 production run. Buick controlled static CR ratio with the piston dish and pin height. if you want the 315 gross HP rating of the 1970 'SP' code engine, you'll probably just want to step up to new light weight pistons and NASCAR takeout rods.

be aware that 72 was the first model year of "SAE Net HP" ratings, and these are significantly lower than Gross HP numbers due to testing methodology. 1971 and 72 engine packages were very similar but the highest rated 1972 350ci engine was only 190hp Net, while the 1971 engines were 260hp Gross.

largest difference is that the 1960s Buick small blocks oiled the rockers by weeping from the rocker shaft while newer engines use the 'Chevy style' pushrod oiling via hollow pushrods. i think 1970 has pushrod oiling, but i'm not certain. old heads on a newer engine will work fine, but be certain that there aren't any old style oil ports in the engine deck that need to be blocked off.

the early heads are supposed to be thinner castings and more prone cracking.

you can drop in an HEI distributor from a later Buick engine, although you'd need to swap the gear at the bottom of the shaft if you pull the HEI out of a 455. you can also take an 800cfm Quadrajet off of a late 70s engine. Buick designs tend to like more carb.

we host the 2006 Jim Burek head porting article here and we have other 350 specific performance articles under the "Reference" button at the top of the page:

https://www.teambuick.com/forums/con...orting-article
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Bob - Thanks for the info/advice. No plans to get into pistons/rods at this stage, but I’ll keep that in mind for a future project. Had come across the Jim Burek article before, but I’ll bookmark the link you sent and have another read before I get out my die grinder. So no major differences between the '72 - '80 years of the version heads I have...check. Thanks again!