Thread: Sanden A/C compressor on Buick 350-v8

Sanden A/C compressor on Buick 350-v8

I have a 71 Skylark. has anyone converted over from the GM set up to the Sanden or other GOOD aftermarket AC system?
    where? what brand? part number? cost? etc.

I am not sure your question is clear. Are you wanting to install a a/c system, or have you had a problem with your OE compressor and feeling it is because it is an OE compressor?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I am not sure your question is clear. Are you wanting to install a a/c system, or have you had a problem with your OE compressor and feeling it is because it is an OE compressor?
    the car is a 71 BUick with a 350-4v auto with factory AC on it.
    The compressor is seized. The system itself has been open for I don't know how long but I know thats BAD.

I was hoping there was a Sanden kit to convert it over to R134. Years ago, I bought a Sanden kit for another car and it bolted right on with NO problems, it came with the mount, compressor, both hoses, receiver/dryer, etc. All we had to do was evacuate the system and put some special oil in it and it ran perfect for 20+ years.

It seems that the 71 Buick has something peculiar about its factory air relative to the 70 or 72, or the other GM stablemates (chevelle, cutlass, etc)

So, what do I NEED to do to make this WORK? Any recommendations on any pro's here in PHOENIX.??

I have not worked on a 1971 a/c system, but I would be very surprised if there was a significant difference in the systems as you have suggested. The OE compressors were very dependable, I have two, and know that one is OE to the 1966 Riv. They both still run R12.

I expect as the system has been open for a long time, you would be best to replace evaporator, condensor, and poa valve. The hoses, you can probably clean satisfactorily.

I am sure there are many good, capable a/c techs in Pheonix, but I am a long way from there.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Yep, I replaced everything.
    Hired a "pro" to do it.
    I got $6800 in the job, brought it back FOUR times and it still does not work.
    What a deal.
    Can't find anybody in Phoenix that Knows ANYTHING about A/C for both CARS and HOMES.
    I hate the thought of moving back to MN. At least you could get something fixed back there.

ELEVEN times back to the same shop. Had FIVE bad compressors, 2 of them rebuilt GM A-6's, 2 of the new 10 piston jobs, and a Sanden.
    they all LEAKED front seal on day ONE!!
    Had leaks on POA valve bypass unit.
    now my only hangup is the heater control unit.
    I guess it never ends.
    I would have thought this would be easy as how many GM A bodies were made from 68 to 72?? what 10 million? and nobody knows squat.
    very frustrating.
    Well, it works but I can't get heat due to the heater control unit.
    I'm ready to sell and go back to my mopars! I'm sorry I sold my 69 Charger.!