I'm waist deep in the restoration of a 1940 Buick, model 76C and enjoying the sport of parts hunting, restoration of most mechanicals, managing and monitoring the efforts for body and paint, plus machine work on the engine. This car was reportedly stored for the last 20 years while the owner attempted restoration but then lost interest. Previous to that the PO told me the car sat on the Arizona desert floor abandoned for a decade or more. As a result, many small parts are missing and other parts incorrectly assembled or restored. So far the body is about 6 months into a 12 to 16 month reconstruction and panel fabrication/replacement process. My original intent was to do all the body and paint myself. Two things stopped me, time and the hazards associated with the modern paints. All the engine machine work is now complete, along with clutch and pressure plate, now on to the transmission. I've collected most of the easy parts, now on to the hard to find parts like unique-to-the-series door glass frames, windshield stainless, proper wheels and such. I keep a restoration journal on a monthly basis illustrating the previous months efforts.

I also have a 1940 model 51. This car was coincidentally also stored for the last 25 years after the owner passed. It took that number of years before the family decided that they just needed to part with their dad's collection of about 10 cars. This car is in very good condition having been stored indoors for all that time. This car is taking a backseat in any repair effort as the first mentioned Buick is making records in cash outflow. A significant benefit of my owning this car is that it is serving as a model for the assembly of the 76C.