From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: Hello all! Would greatly appreciate 1967 GS 400 info .

Hello all! Would greatly appreciate 1967 GS 400 info .

Guys,

I just inherited a numbers matching 1967 GS 400. I'm 50 and when I was running the streets in my youth it was all about Camaro's, Trans Am's, Firebird's and Mustang's. Had I known Buick made such a bad *** car I would have bought one years ago.
    Car needs paint, new vinyl top, rubber seals for trunks, doors, etc, the normal stuff. Body is in fantastic shape. Engine and trans are still original and untouched. However my enjoyment of this car has been replaced by tears... lol. FRAME ROT. In three spots but we all know it is what you can't see that always gets you. I'm still going to investigate further to see if repair is an option. I don't think so but its worth a try. Unless I fall backwards into some serious money, it will never be a show car. I just like driving it. I'm a decent mechanic. I work on diesel engine generators for a living so turning a wrench is no problem but this frame building and buying.....well you might as well be talking Greek to me.
    After looking around on the internet without any success. What are my best options for purchasing an A-Body base frame. I really don't care about having disc brakes, or having my car handle better than a vette. I just would like an inexpensive base frame, that I can put my drum brakes, rear end, etc all back on and get back to cruising.
    Any advice, info or just pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
    I will attach pics of frame rot as soon as I can figure out how to...ha
    Also I have found some Buick parts websites but who would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...ssis/index.php

Buick Special, Olds Cutlass and F-85, Chevy Chevelle, Pontiac Tempest from 1964-67 with wheelbases of 115".

avoid the Monte Carlo and Grand Prix. while technically A-body cars they are both on stretched frames with longer wheelbases than the normal A-bodies.

given that this is a numbers matching car, you might want to put the OEM 400ci in storage if you're going to thrash on the car or do a performance rebuild. the Buick 455 ( 1970-76 ) and 430 ( 1967-69 ) are the same size externally.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

65-67 GS Skylark were built on the boxed Skylark/Special convertible frame for those years. The GS skylark frames from 65-67 are all similar with subtle differences you can work around (Spring pockets and springs types for one) . The 64 Skylark convertible also has a similar boxed frame. I don't know that GM used a boxed frame under other A-Body convertible of the same era, but they would be a direct replacement if boxed. The non boxed frame would also work from those years, but would not be as strong.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

The Tempest and GTO frames show as interchangeable in '67. Again, if taken from a light duty car, they should probably be boxed for a GS400.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks for the info guys, advice and the link I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can find a used one local and before I buy I'll post just to make sure everything is good. Supply and demand determines a lot but what would be a reasonable price for a solid used frame? Just out of curiosity if I could buy a new basic frame what kind if ball park figure are we talking about? Guys thanks for your time and apologize for some many questions but this is new territory, never dropped a frame out of car so I'm getting as much info as I can.

Here is a 65 Skylark non-boxed rolling chassis in Charlotte NC for $1000. it is powder coated.http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3767.0
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo

THANKS! Reached out to him this morning so we will see how it goes. More questions though....lol
    So that frame will fit with minor modifications, correct?
    My frame is currently boxed and this frame is not....what are the determining factors lighter vs heavier? driving style, horsepower, torque, etc?
    Also the poster spoke about a kit to make it a boxed frame kit, know anything about those?

Thanks again

The kits on bottom of the page in the link below will strengthen the non boxed frame, but will not make it into an original boxed frame. It would fit the bill if you want it strong enough for your 400, and are not concerned about having the concourse correct frame under the car. You may have to change the mounting of the transmission crossmember, but you would have the crossmember that comes with the frame and yours to use for fabrication. http://www.abcperformance.net/store/...ex&cPath=1_124
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo

Good Deal! And thanks for all the advice and the hook up, it looks I'm going to go take a look at the Skylark frame after the first of the year and if all is well probably purchase and then the kits to box it in. The guy is located only about an hour from the house. Still have a couple of guys at local shops that want to take a look at it to see if they could repair it? Either way, I'm sure the body will have to be removed. So as far $$ I think the smart thing to do is purchase the skylark frame and take my time with everything versus paying a someone for a repair that may or may not last 5 years. I'm not the smartest guy on the earth especially talking about frames but it looks like to me unless you have a scope or cut into the frame you don't know what is lurking inside?
    I'll be back in touch as soon as I get this frame, probably going need some advice and help again!

Have a Merry Christmas and Thanks again,

unless you have a scope or cut into the frame you don't know what is lurking inside?

pretty much.

road salt is awful but beach house cars can be ridiculously bad as well. i knew a guy in Fla who had to repair a front frame horn on a 90s Dodge pickup because the ocean air had completely rotted it off. i expect they did dumb things with it like drive it down next to the surf and hang fishing poles off of it or something.

also, some of the older cars ( before sealed batteries ) had a pressure relief hose that would be routed down into the frame rail so it wouldn't drip on a garage floor or driveway. yes, that directs battery acid directly into the frame.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)