-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duals

Just a guess, and not a very good one at that.

Do you know anyone who has fit a 320ci in a 248ci hole? Probably have to move motor mounts and re-do every fitting to the block. I wonder how many HP I could coax out of one of those old girls? I had best be content with what I have in hand. She is a driver, not a hot rod. I just don't want one of those guys on those little scooters to come scooting by me giving me the finger. I have to change a tire on her tomorrow. It's a rear tire and it is a trick to get that 235-15-R75 out from under that fender. She needs a set of wide whitewalls, but that will come later, after all the grinding, sanding, and painting. This is what she looks like right now. I want to paint her the exact color of this 46 Century (not mine) with an interior like the last pic.

I can do the faux burl painting. As a matter of fact, I will do all the painting. The only thing I am farming out is the upholstery and the chroming.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

We used an M21 behind our 320 buy machining the stock manual bell housing. Worked GREAT!!! Ended up with 385HP to the rear wheels with a 500 2bbl. Holley that was modded to flow close to 600. This was back in the mid 60's on a roundy round stock car know as "BIG RED". That tiny 5 bolt top cover trans. WILL NOT take any kind of abuse as the gears are made of "GLASS" just FYI.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

I know they make plates to fit certain trans to the existing bell housing, and I think I can make any adapter required. Just another project but one that will be worthwhile. I suspected that little trans was going to be a weak link. I do have one question, is the trans flange to tip of pilot snout the same on both trans?

Got any old pictures of that old race car? I would love to see one. I like old race cars from the days when men made their own parts and alterations.

Jim

Whoa!!! An adapter plate for the 248ci is over a grand. I think I will make my own. I have everything I need on hand, Muncie M21 or M22, 11" flywheel, 11" clutch plate, and either 11" pre-85 aluminum bellhousing, or an early explosion proof bellhousing with clutch arm. The projects keep adding up and none off the list yet. As for this project, the biggest question is whether to use steel or aluminum for the adapter plate(s). I prefer to work with aluminum. So be it I need to get a donor engine and trans, and build them to replace what I have. Off to do yet another search. Fortunately, one of my super long shot investments is going to pay a dividend this year for the first time. I am going to need it. Being single has it's advantages.

Jim

Found a booklet named "Chevy GMC & Buick Speed Manual" by California Bill, whoever he was. A 0.125" overbore on my 248ci gives me a 263ci. How about that? My 1950 248ci should have rods with inserts - thank goodness. I can't get used to the cam nomenclature - 3/4 grind, full race, etc. Means nothing to me. I am still reading the little book, but I highly recommend it already. Will update when I finish reading it.

Jim