263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duals

Duals

I decided to increase HP in my 1950 248ci engine. Not much available aftermarket that I could find, so I opted for the '41 Buick dual intake/exhaust. It took a couple of weeks to find the parts, but they are out there if you look, although be prepared for some serious outlay of cash. I wound up with an extra intake manifold and now have two sets of carbs, Stromburg and Carter, with the front carb of each set appearing to be NOS. My question is, which set of carbs gives the best overall performance?

I also have a 3-bolt Holley and a 3-bolt Ford carb.

Regards,

Jim

we do host a couple of hot rodding articles from back in the day for souping up Straight 8s, have you looked at those?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

That was the first thing I did. I spent about a week reading old threads. Great information for a Buick newbie like me. This is the best Buick site I could find.

Jim

Strombergs it will be. No reason other than I always wanted a car with multiply Strombergs, I'll put the extra intake with the Carters on eBay. I doubt I will get what I paid for them, but there is a cost associated with any hobby, and I am getting eager to drive this old car. I will save my spare change for power steering, AC, and front disc brakes. Coker wide white walls on wire wheels is next.

Jim

Progress

There doesn't seem to be much interest in bumping HP in a 248ci. Regardless, I found a set of dual intake/exhausts and a set of Stromberg carbs to match. I also found an old water injection system I will use to boost top-end HP by allowing ore advance. I will inject a 50/50 water/methanol mix (windshield cleaner fluid) to cool the system with a WOT solenoid switch. I also found a cam grinder who is going to regrind my cam to what most would call a mild street performance (250 to 260 degree duration at 0.050" lift). It won't be blowing any Vettes off the road, but it should be a fun car to drive. I hope to be moving into my new shop in less than 30 days.

Jim Tarleton

Bumping a 248

Jim, keep it up! I just did a 263 and installed in my '50 41D. Love it. I had the head reworked with larger valves and cleaned up the passages. An old racer, who happened to be the machinist who did the boring, said the head work would give more boost than all the rest. My cam is about the same as yours.

Ben

Who did your cam? Geoff with Colt Cams is going to do mine. I am going to deck my heads (will know how much once I get the head off) and do a minor amount of porting. What size intake valve did you install? I plan to just shim the springs since RPM's will be relatively low and I am leery of the intake area thickness with no seat. The engine has 54K miles on it. Should be a little life left in her.

Jim

Smile '50 Speciual

Jim, Dema Elgin did mine. You can go a lot on the head. I went 20 on the head and 20 on the block. Do not let anyone talk you into hardened seats! Not necessary. Heads are hard enough.
    Auto or stick? IF you have an auto and hydraulic lifters, I recommend leaving well enough alone with valve springs. You are correct on the RPM.
    I am not sure on valve size. The machinist I used does Performance builds. Just asked him to do his thing. I do know there is barely a hair width between the valve heads. Well, maybe a thick hair.
    Keep talking. I like to talk Straight Eights!

Ben

Ben,

You a Jarhead?

Mine is a stick, and I bought an old Hurst shifter I plan to adapt to that tiny little trans. I have a Muncie M22 and a M21, but the flanges appear too big to fit the bell housing. I would love to stuff an 11" clutch and pressure plate in this puppy, but I suspect that is a pipe dream. I am a jake-leg machinist wanna be. Got a Clausing 1500 lathe and a Jet milling machine. Finishing up my new shop in the next 30 days. 22'x33' of old iron (mostly flathead 80 Harleys). I have about half a dozen unfinished projects to tackle, including my 1956 Harley KHK Land Speed Racer (blown fuel flathead). The Buick is going to be a fun project for me. Silver interior with faux burl dash and Navy blue/ tan exterior. It will be my daily driver. I bought a 43D for its roomy interior and four doors. I want to cruise in style with the Allman Brothers and Little Feat blasting in the background, with a bit of Ladyva (you got to check her out on YouTube). She turned Beethoven's Fur Elise into a boogie woogie masterpiece.

I would love to find a 320ci lying around and figure out a way to stuff it into the 43D. They tell me it can't be done, but I think I can do it. I can build my own manifolds (4 or 6 carb sounds about right). Polished and shot-peened rods with some nice pistons would help. I'm still trying to find a way to get a real squish area in that 248ci head. The pistons are a nightmare. I also need to regrind the lifters and buy a gallon or two of Gunjuice. I am going to use MMO in my water/methanol injection setup. It's going to be an E ride.

Jim
    Jarhead(1969-72)

Not a Jarhead

Never in the service. What prompted that question, may I ask? Honored you asked.

A 320 is about six inches or so longer. Anything can be done with enough imagination

and greenbacks.

Ben