- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: '70 455 GS belt pulley issue

'70 455 GS belt pulley issue

Hello all.
    My 455 engine has OE AC unit, ready to go (I hope) but has never been belted.
    After careful inspection and using a lazer, we've come to realize that the Crank Pulley aligns with the power steering pump,
    but is not aligned with the Alternator or AC compressor pulley grooves. The Crank pulley is sticking out about 3/16".
    I'm surprised I have never thrown a belt on the alternator. As best as we can tell, AC compressor and Alt are mounted correctly.
    I've researched, but don't find any different 3 groove pulleys for crank. Thanks ahead of time for suggestions.

have you tried putting washers behind the Alt to bump it out into alignment? you should be able to shim either the bracket or the accessory.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

The Buick Master Parts book shows the 1967-70 big blocks (400-430-455) use the same 3-groove crank pulley where all three grooves look to have the same diameter. The '71 and later have a smaller diameter groove for the power steering belt than the others. Not sure what the transition looks like where it goes from the small groove to the larger grooves. If one of the later type made it onto your engine somehow, that might account for the outer two belts riding too far forward.

The small block engines (300-340-350) use different pulleys with smaller diameter grooves overall. A similar redesign occurred in '71 to get unequal groove sizes. Don't know if the bolt pattern would even bolt onto the big block crank.

Attached is a belt layout drawing from the book for the '70 455s. Looks like the A/C belt also rides in the rear groove of the alternator pulley. So those two pulleys also have to be in line with each other. Would be interesting to see if the fan pulley aligns with the crank pulley or the A/C & alternator pulleys.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TODD; 12-05-2017 at 03:03 AM. Reason: add attachment
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

455 belt alignment issue

Thanks for the replies and ideas. Car is in storage now. Will continue to figure this out in the spring!
    Happy Holidays to all!

Quote Originally Posted by mrtgman2 View Post
    Hello all.
    My 455 engine has OE AC unit, ready to go (I hope) but has never been belted.
    After careful inspection and using a lazer, we've come to realize that the Crank Pulley aligns with the power steering pump,
    but is not aligned with the Alternator or AC compressor pulley grooves. The Crank pulley is sticking out about 3/16".
    I'm surprised I have never thrown a belt on the alternator. As best as we can tell, AC compressor and Alt are mounted correctly.
    I've researched, but don't find any different 3 groove pulleys for crank. Thanks ahead of time for suggestions.