From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 215,300, 340
- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: Looking for a new cam - Any suggestions?

Looking for a new cam - Any suggestions?

Hey there. I've got a 300-2 Buick V8 from my 1967 Buick Special 4-door sedan that's in the process of being torn down for an engine rebuild. I'd like to put a higher lift cam into it (for that sexy muscle car lope), but I've been told that the limited production run of the engine makes it hard to find parts that fit. So far, I only have this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/...xoCG_wQAvD_BwE

I'm not even sure if that one will fit, so I could use some help!

but I've been told that the limited production run of the engine makes it hard to find parts that fit.

Rover had the aluminum version of this v8 architecture in production up until 2004, so tell em "Bullocks" when they claim you can't get parts.

Rover did convert everything to metric dimensions so i'm not sure if you'd have to bush the cam bearings but i don't think so. even if you had too bush the cam or rebore the cam tunnel, any decent machinist should be able to handle that.

www.TAPerformance.com ( Arizona ) and www.AluminumV8.com ( Michigan ) are two domestic US suppliers who should be able to answer any questions you have on this and source cams for you.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    but I've been told that the limited production run of the engine makes it hard to find parts that fit.

Rover had the aluminum version of this v8 architecture in production up until 2004, so tell em "Bullocks" when they claim you can't get parts.

Rover did convert everything to metric dimensions so i'm not sure if you'd have to bush the cam bearings but i don't think so. even if you had too bush the cam or rebore the cam tunnel, any decent machinist should be able to handle that.

www.TAPerformance.com ( Arizona ) and www.AluminumV8.com ( Michigan ) are two domestic US suppliers who should be able to answer any questions you have on this and source cams for you.
    I got mine from Schneider racing cams. Have a look there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buick 300 cam

I just recently got a cam from Crower for my 340 4bbl with the install kit springs, camsaver lifters, retainers and seals. there is a guy there I talked to that has been there since 1968 (forgot his name) who knows what he is doing and will not argue with you he will set you up. they have several in stock from mild to wild (hyd or mechanical) and even make a distinction between 300 and 340 motors when ordering the cam to optimize power. He is grinding me a custom for my tractor that will bleed off bottom end compression and sound good while clearing stock pistons. around $200 for custom cam, lead time 2-3 days. We now deal almost exclusively with Crower after arguing with several others trying to get them to duplicate an old experimental race cam we KNEW worked in a mopar 413 with long ram intakes, their computer whiz kids always wanted to sell something MUCH smaller and "modern" that we had tried before and knew absolutely wouldn't work. they pretty much called us liars (used the word "impossible") when we told them how the old one ran. One told us that they didn't have a blank for it and wouldn't even let us send them a cam to re-grind along with the old experimental race cam to copy that THEY had originally made back in 1965! Crower said "sure" we have a new blank, be happy to! $200 later and I have my cam! they said to call them back because they wanted to know how it ran! I know several engine builders who will not install comp cams because they weren't hardened properly at the factory and they wouldn't stand behind them and said they didn't harden them because they expected them to surface harden themselves from heat and friction!