- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Transmission Repair

Transmission Repair

Hello, Have a 53 Super, all original. I'm not a mechanic, just a driver. I love that car; I try to keep it up, but have serious financial limitations. I just spent $700 for brakes recently, that's all I have in the car fund. Wanted you to know where I'm coming from. So my question will offend the purists out there, but here it is anyway. The transmission leaks moderately, maybe a 1/2 quart a month with infrequent driving. I am planning to put it up on a rack, find the leak, dry it, and apply something, probably either the gunk from a tube of exhaust system patch, or plumbers' soft-gray stick epoxy. Please tell me if I am totally crazy and what the downside of this might be (or help with a better solution). Thank you much! L Hop

Quote Originally Posted by L Hop View Post
    Hello, Have a 53 Super, all original. I'm not a mechanic, just a driver. I love that car; I try to keep it up, but have serious financial limitations. I just spent $700 for brakes recently, that's all I have in the car fund. Wanted you to know where I'm coming from. So my question will offend the purists out there, but here it is anyway. The transmission leaks moderately, maybe a 1/2 quart a month with infrequent driving. I am planning to put it up on a rack, find the leak, dry it, and apply something, probably either the gunk from a tube of exhaust system patch, or plumbers' soft-gray stick epoxy. Please tell me if I am totally crazy and what the downside of this might be (or help with a better solution). Thank you much! L Hop

This will likely not help your leak at all. Dynaflows leak from a few places but not from somewhere that could be patched with epoxy. The area where the torque tube and transmission meet is a common leak point, and putting epoxy at a pivot point wont help anything. I've never seen a dynaflow that didn't leak. I'd start with the torque ball seal at the back of the transmission, and the oil pan seal if it looks like its leaking. At best, you can hope for a slower leak from what I've seen. Either way, start by crawling under there with a flashlight and see where it's coming from. That much is free and easy.