Thread: First Newbie question

First Newbie question

Hey guys, still learning about Buick. Was wondering if anyone has a good source they can point me to for parts that are interchangeable. What years for other Skylarks should I be looking for to interchange with my 72 Skylark Coupe and what other A bodies? I've been doing some searching but was wondering if there's a guide somewhere that I am not finding.

Thanks

Salvage yards use the Hollander Interchange Manuals for identifying parts swaps. Those will pick up interchanges that have been proven to work even where part numbers are not the same.

A MOTOR Parts and Time Guide from the early to late '70s will show crossovers for common mechanical repair parts. Those show up used on eBay. Chilton's Labor Guide and Parts Manual is similar. For body parts, a Mitchell Collision Estimating Guide is a good source.

The actual GM divisions' Master Parts Books from that period are available to download at www.wildaboutcarsonline.com It is handy to just pull the part number from the Buick book and Google it along with the word Buick and then with GM.

www.gmpartswiki.com has many GM parts manuals (mainly Chevy). It will find multiple usages if the part number is already known.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Yep - Salvage yards for interchange

There are a couple salvage yards that will look up interchanges, mostly the U pull it / U wrench it type of lots. There is one I go to fairly often that will print off interchanges for me any time, but it took a while to find that guy!

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Well first thing I need is a driver side door but I think I am **** outta luck when it comes to interchanging. I am gonna have to start searching the junk yards

2nd gen A-body Skylark runs from 1968-72. 69 and earlier looks to have had the Sweepspear stamped into side so they wouldn't match your quarters.

http://www.stage1registry.com/GSpictures.html

you could probably also pull a door from a Buick Sportwagon from 70-72.

if you're just looking for mechanical parts, the Chevelle and El Camino are also A-body.

question:
    when a **** rolls, does it get polished? you know, like stones in a river?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)