Thread: Newbie who just bought '69 Skylark Custom Coupe

Question Newbie who just bought '69 Skylark Custom Coupe

The first new car I ever bought was a '69 Skylark. Although my lifetime "car guy" experience has been European sports cars, I have always wanted to get another '69 Skylark. I had no idea how hard they are to find in unmolested condition, but I finally find one. It needs a lot of work, but is good enough to be worthy of being brought back to really nice driver condition, which is my intent. Because my knowledge and experience is all European sports cars, I have a lot to learn and hope the Team Buick forums can be a reliable of help as I try to figure out the best way to achieving my restoration goals. For example, I have a question now. My '69 has a bench front bench seat. I'd like to replace that with factory correct '69 split bench and center console. How/where can I find what was available for a Skylark Custom coupe in '69 and where might i find the seats and console to replace my bench front seat? Any help is appreciated.

Attached are a couple of pages from the dealer brochure showing 1969 Skylark interiors. The notch back seats were available in green, pearl white, blue, black or buckskin expanded vinyl in the Custom Sport Coupe. A non-operating console was available but only with Bucket Seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post
    Attached are a couple of pages from the dealer brochure showing 1969 Skylark interiors. The notch back seats were available in green, pearl white, blue, black or buckskin expanded vinyl in the Custom Sport Coupe. A non-operating console was available but only with Bucket Seats.
    Todd,
    Thanks for the information. This is my front seat, the shifter is on the column:
    (Sorry, despite several attempts I was unable to rotate the photo to proper orientation in this response)

Attachment 7413

My bench is one piece so adjustment for one is adjustment for all. From what you said, to make any stock improvements would mean finding and installing bucket seats, right?

Yes, that's the way I read it too. Your car already has the optional notch back seats. The non-operating console can be seen in the lower right interior shot from the dealer brochure. If you're looking for the larger console with gear shift, these were available, see attached. I'm assuming your car has an automatic transmission.

Attached is a list of trim codes by model number. This code will be stamped in the cowl data plate. There is also some interesting data on the Option Codes and Pricing on this site under the Reference tab, then select '69 model year.
    Last edited by TODD; 11-09-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Add console photo
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Welcome aboard from another '69 Custom Coupe owner. With the notchback bench too. They're even harder to find in Australia, I've seen 2 '68s and one '69 locally. That's it.

If you're not aware of it already, http://www.v8buick.com/index.php is worth joining too.

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post
    Yes, that's the way I read it too. Your car already has the optional notch back seats. The non-operating console can be seen in the lower right interior shot from the dealer brochure. If you're looking for the larger console with gear shift, these were available, see attached. I'm assuming your car has an automatic transmission.

Attached is a list of trim codes by model number. This code will be stamped in the cowl data plate. There is also some interesting data on the Option Codes and Pricing on this site under the Reference tab, then select '69 model year.
    Todd, thanks for sending me the trim codes list and the dealer brochure. Based on that information I'm thinking I'll restore the interior I have in it's original configuration. I have no desire to turn my Custom Coupe into a GS clone.