- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: '57 Special 364 3 speed column shift manual question

'57 Special 364 3 speed column shift manual question

All,
    I've poked around a bit on the site trying to find info, I'm sure it's posted but figured it might be quicker just to ask. I have a 1957 46R project that has been passed down to me and I'm just starting to look at rebuilding the 364. Years ago the engine failed a freeze plug and it's been sitting for several years. I've pulled the engine and it's free and will start teardown this week to see what actually needs to be replaced. If possible I'd like to take it to the 300 hp (or better) w/o going overboard on cost and I'd prefer to do everything myself as it's a pride thing for me. I'm very mechanically minded and I've just completed our 1960 impala convrt but there is not nearly as much info available for the Buick. So I've got to rely on experts like yourselves.

I found the following info on one posting regarding changing the 2 bbl carb setup over "Camshaft, valve sizes, compression ratio via pistons. Just changing to a 4 bbl. carb. will be an improvement, but not 50HP. And good luck in finding a reasonably priced manifold." but is there a definitive step by step says...."order cam PN 1234 from Summit (or where ever) and pistons PN 6789, etc."

Also, I'd like to keep the 3 speed column shift; just to confirm changing the HP/torque shouldn't be an issue?? I've also read on a couple forums that the 3 speed column was is a rare option? Can this be confirmed or does anyone know production numbers for manual set-ups?

Lastly (for this initial post anyway) is my car had the rubber vs felt floor mat option and the floors need to be completely replaced from the rear seat mount to the toe-boards. After measuring and looking it up I believe I'm going to use full length stamped floor from Ecklers for a 1957 Chev. Has this been done before or is there another option that people are aware of? I've looked and I can only find patch panels and not something full length.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Smile

To build up the 300 hp engine similar to the one used on the senior '57 Buick series, swapping in stock parts should do the job:

Carb, 4-bbl, Rochester 4GC or Carter AFB
    Manifold, intake, 4-bbl, no 1175328
    Pistons, 10.0 compression ratio, oversized as needed
    Miscellaneous fittings-- air cleaner, throttle rod, fuel line, choke feed, etc.

Engine valves are the same for synchromesh vs Dynaflow cars. The camshaft variation goes according to synchromesh vs Dynaflow. These are not interchangeable per shop manual. Keep .015" head gaskets to avoid lowering compression ratio. Your car will already have pieces unique to the synchromesh setup such as crankshaft, camshaft, flywheel, intake manifold gaskets, 3.58 axle ratio.

Someone had an original '57 4 bbl carb for sale on this site a few months back. The intake manifold can be found on '57-'58 Century/Super/Roadmaster cars. Also on '59-'61 LeSabre cars having the power pack option.

Different pistons were used in '57 to get the three different compression ratios. All used the .015" head gaskets except for unusual applications. Going to the 10.0 ratio will now require premium fuel.

Although it was an earlier design, the synchromesh transmission was used previously with 4-bbl carburetion on 322 nailheads in '54 and '55. Factory even issued a service letter giving customers the OK to install 4-bbl '56 engines in '56 Specials having synchromesh transmissions. Granted hp levels were lower in earlier years, but a synchromesh transmission paired to the 300 hp 364 should hold up under reasonable operating conditions.

Buick was elusive in the late '50s about publishing hp figures for the synchromesh cars. The compression ratio was always the lowest of all. For '57, Specials with synchromesh had an 8.0 cr. and a hp rating about 210. Dynaflow Specials with 9.5 cr. were rated 250 hp. Senior models (Century/Super/Roadmaster) all with Dynaflow and 4-bbl had 10.0 cr. and the 300 hp figure. That number for the synchromesh setup is taken from the '60 model which had an 8.5 cr. and published hp rating of 210.

The Standard Catalog of Buick 1903-2004 indicates 98.5% of all 1958 Buicks came equipped with Dynaflow. Assuming similar numbers held in '57, then 1.5% of the 405,000 total production gives about 6076 cars with synchromesh. Since only Specials (220,746 that year) could be ordered with stick shift, that works out to 1 in 36 Specials with standard shift. The manual transmission was even discontinued in full size Buicks later in '61-'62.
    Last edited by TODD; 11-04-2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Correct typos
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

there's a yard in Modoc Indiana which has BUTTLOADS of old 50s and 60s cars in it. lots of Nailheads as well, i've physically verified that. obviously, this stuff has all sat outside through Indiana winters for +40 years so condition on a lot of it is pretty rough.

it's on the NW corner of Indiana 1 and US 36 and i'm sure you can see some of the cars from Google street view.

Marathon gas station on the south side of the road is owned by the same towing company.

https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...c-Indiana-yard
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)