- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buick big block cam

buick big block cam

I'm building a 455 for my 64 skylark I'm trying to find out how to buy a cam from poston enterprise or kenne bell

i'm pretty sure Poston doesn't exist anymore. they sold out and the new owners didn't seem to understand how to run a retail operation.

Kenne-Bell is still around BUT it's been years since they did vending for the Buick market. they're mostly Ford Mustang and Supercharger stuff now.

www.TAPerformance.com is the major Buick provider now, but they have a long retail history and have been bringing major components like aluminum v6 and 455 blocks to market for years now.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Buick performance cam

Thanks Bob k I was wondering if any one could tell me the best cam for my engine it's a1971 455 out of a rib going into a 64 skylark with 373 rear gears and a 2000 stall converter I have headers an edelbrock intake I'm not sure if I'm going to use a rebuilt q jet or a edelbrock carb any suggestions

I' stick with a rebuilt Q-jet. There is a guy on this board that rebuilds them specific to your combination (Cartamax?). Since you have a relatively low stall and are not porting your heads, I would look at cams in the low 220* @ .050" intake duration and low 230* @ .050" exhaust duration with a valve lift below .530 to work with stock rockers.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Buick performance cam

Cool name frankenbuick I'm definitely not getting a cam with that much lift I was thinking something in the 490 lift what cam from ta performance or anywhere else do you suggest

Here is a collection of 455 cams suggestions for street use: Street Cam Selection Guide

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Buick performance cam

Thanks Bob this will be very helpfully in choosing my cam

The most important thing to state when asking for a cam recommendation is to describe EXACTLY what you expect from the car, and what you are willing to live with. The biggest mistake most guys make is to over cam an engine. A bigger cam holds the valves open longer so the engine can breathe at higher RPM where it can make more horse power. A bigger cam increases overlap, the period when both valves are open at the same time. More overlap decreases engine vacuum and makes for a rougher idle. A bigger cam pushes the power range of the engine up, you lose some low end for bigger gains up top. You can actually make the car slower "real world" by over camming an engine. It may sound great at idle, but be a pig on the street in typical driving. There is no such thing as a 2000 RPM converter, or any other number for that matter. Buying an off the shelf converter thinking you'll know where it will stall is a gamble. Having a converter built for your car/engine cost more, but you get what you pay for when it comes to torque converters. Stall speed depends on many factors including engine torque, car weight, and gearing, among other things. You also should consider static compression ratio when choosing a cam. The engine does not run at the static compression ratio. Cam timing affects things. The intake valve is open as the piston comes up on the compression stroke. No compression can build until the intake valve closes. Different cams close the intake valve earlier or later. That is why you will see a static compression ratio requirement in a cam description. The running compression of an engine (Dynamic Compression Ratio DCR) determines how it will perform in an engine and whether it will run on pump gas. For more on DCR, read this, http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

The 1971 455 will have 8.5:1 compression or less. Stay smaller on the cam, bigger is not always better.
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

Big block cam

Thanks Larry I'm not going with a huge cam I definitely do not want to overcam the ENGINE the lift I'm thinking is probably around 450 lift the last ENGINE I built was a 430 out of a 69 riv it was in my68gran sport but I definitely went with a little too small of a cam it was a post on cam it was rated at 1000 rpm to 5000 but it seemed like it ran out of steam way too early so I'm looking for something that will pull strong up to around 6000 rpm even though I'll probably shift at anywhere between 52 55 hundred rpm

Quote Originally Posted by buick skylark View Post
    Thanks Larry I'm not going with a huge cam I definitely do not want to overcam the ENGINE the lift I'm thinking is probably around 450 lift the last ENGINE I built was a 430 out of a 69 riv it was in my68gran sport but I definitely went with a little too small of a cam it was a post on cam it was rated at 1000 rpm to 5000 but it seemed like it ran out of steam way too early so I'm looking for something that will pull strong up to around 6000 rpm even though I'll probably shift at anywhere between 52 55 hundred rpm
    The lift has nothing to do with it, it's the duration. What I mentioned before about the dynamic compression is important because the 1971 engine has between 8.0 and 8.5:1 static compression. You want the DCR as close to 7.5 as you can get it. Look over the cams from TA Performance. Most of them require at least 9.0:1 or more compression. That is what you need to get the DCR up to at least 7.0. The only cam that you can use is the TA 112. All the other cams require more compression to get the DCR up into the target zone. If you use a bigger cam, you'll be down around 6:1, and the engine will not perform it's best. Is this 1971 engine original, or has it been rebuilt? If it is original, I'd stay small.

http://www.taperformance.com/products.asp?cat=160
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800