- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Bendsten adapter flywhel on Straight 8

Bendsten adapter flywhel on Straight 8

Does anyone have experience with Bendsten adapters?

My flywheel is all chewed up due to starter alignment (another fun project to be tackled later but lets focus on flywheel)

So, I have a Straight 8 263 engine with a 200r4 transmission.

I wouldn't think the adapter makes any difference, when replacing the flywheel, but was curious if anyone has experience with the Straight 8/200r4 configuration that would have knowledge here.

Would you drop the transmission only to replace the flywheel or recommend pulling the whole engine, due to some unforeseen issue I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help

Mike

Flywheel on straight eight

Are you talking a manual flywheel or a dynaflow flexplate? Pictures of the "damage"?

Ben

It's a 168 tooth flywheel. No Dynaflow, it's been converted with an adapter plate to use an automatic transmission. It's a 200r4 transmission.

Flywheel for straight eight

Brooklyn, if it is a regular standard tranny flywheel, The starter ring MAY be cleanable. I was able to do the one on my 263. I used a small grinding wheel in my 3/8 in drill and ground off the mushroomed part of each tooth. Works as good as new.

Didn't you rebuild that engine?

Ben

I did that to the flex plate teeth but with a triangular file. It's much better but the flex plate is actually warped though (it has a slight wobble).

No experience with a Bendsten adapter flywheel, but ...
    Three years ago, when I had the flywheel currently in my '51 resurfaced, I also had the machine shop flip the gear that the starter had chewed up. (Remember, the starter ring gear on the flywheel is a separate piece of steel.) They just pressed the ring off (with a little heat, I think), flipped it to present an "unchewed" side to the starter, and pressed the ring back on. Way less work than a file or a grinding wheel. I think they charged me an extra $15.

Thanks for the input but my flexplate won't allow for that. The teeth and wheel are one piece.

What bell housing and flex plate?

Is the starter from the straight 8? Is there also a crankshaft adapter? Is the converter the lock-up type from the 200-r4? These questions need answers to make any suggestions. Sounds like fun though!