Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: 67 Skylark VIN

67 Skylark VIN

I just saw some pictures of a 67 "GS400" which is supposed to be an original 4spd and is an interesting car!

What can you tell me about the car from the plates?

Thanks
    Last edited by shoprat; 09-24-2017 at 04:06 PM.

i transcribe it thus
    trim plate:
    03C 2 - reverse stamped and ROTATED +90 DEGREES
    67-44617 BF01290 BOD
    185 P2 PAINT
    B80 C08(?)
    8017 130305

03C = March, third week
    2 = ????
    67- = 1967
    4 = Buick
    46 = GS 400
    17 = 2d Sport Coupe Hardtop
    BF =
    01290 = sequential Fisher body #
    185 = Black vinyl interior
    P2 = Platinum mist exterior, vinyl top

i don't know the acc codes

VIN plate:
    444177K103505
    4 = Buick
    44 = Skylark v8 model designation
    17 = 2d Sport Coupe Hardtop body style
    7 = 1967
    K = Leeds, Missouri
    103505 = sequential production #

in 1967, the Gran Sport had it's own Model designation in the VIN and should be either 34 ( for the 340ci ) or 46 ( for the 400ci ) so your VIN plate would appear to be technically incorrect. the Body Plate shows 46 though, so i'm going to assume the MO plant messed up.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

The plant code from the body tag is BF, which is Fremont, CA. It looks like the rivets holding the VIN tag on are incorrect. By 1967 the rosette rivets were being used for VIN tags. My data shows that a car with a VIN ending in 103505 would have a late September or early October build for the Kansas City (Leeds), MO plant and a car with a build date of 03C at the Fremont plant would have a VIN ending in the 111xxx to 112xxx range.

B80 = Roof drip scalp molding
    C08 = Custom vinyl top covering
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43

holy cow. and those rivets look ancient too.

why would you put the VIN tag for a LESS valuable car on a GS? somebody stole it back in the 70s or 80s?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks, the VIN concerned me, but I wasn't sure. The car looks like a genuine GS400 down to the air cleaner. The only option which I am totally unfamiliar with is, it is a 3 spd. on the floor. Apparently a Ford top loader or something. The stick is curved and has no lock out. I have never seen this, but I have never seen a 3 spd.

If the transmission is possible, the next thing I should check is for a boxed frame. Then it is probably a genuine car. Makes me wonder if the perhaps it has a shady past, perhaps stolen and another VIN tag used for registering. The car has been owned by the same person for a long time, I think 20+ years. What do you think?

Only one reason I can think of for why you would put a Skylark VIN on a GS400 and I'm sure the original owner would love to have the car back. Before you do anything, have the current owner do a VIN verification on the car. Depending on your state, this usually involves taking the car to the state patrol or having a local law enforcement officer come look at the car. They will look at the hidden VINs and compare to the VIN tag and run the hidden VIN through the stolen car database. My guess is it will come back as stolen. Based on the trim tag, the VIN of the car should be 446177Z11xxxx.

A couple of things to ask the current owner:
    1. Where did they buy the car?
    2. Did they get a good deal?
    3. Was the seller eager to sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    why would you put the VIN tag for a LESS valuable car on a GS?
    They probably used a Skylark VIN because that was likely the only title and VIN they had available from their buddy at the junk yard. It's close enough that most people probably wouldn't notice, especially if they were getting a good deal on the car. I occasionally help the police identify Buick cars they can't. I was helping one officer with a car that was clearly a 1964 with a late 1965 VIN. I told him I thought it was stolen, but he said that he ran the VIN and it came back clean. I was thinking, duh , that's the way it works. Someone takes the clean title and VIN tag from a car that has been crushed at a junk yard, puts that VIN tag on a stolen car and then presto, the stolen car now has a clean title and VIN. I guess he was new or something.

The person who stole the 1964 car did a good job of covering their tracks, they ground off the engine number and production code and removed the cowl tag. But they also used the wrong rivets for the VIN tag (should have been rosette rivets for a late 1965 VIN). Combine that with all of the other missing identifiers and it was very suspicious. But despite of all that, several people had bought the car since it had been stolen. Once a car is stolen the VIN will get entered into the stolen car database and it will stay there until recovered, even for cars stolen a long time ago. How many times have you seen a story on the news about a car that is recovered after it was stolen 20, 30, or 40 years ago?

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov...me-stolen-bus6
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...urned/5650155/

If the car is found to be stolen the police will confiscate it, so better to find out before you buy it.
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43