Thread: Looking for 55 Special 1 3/4 Brake Shoes

Looking for 55 Special 1 3/4 Brake Shoes

I have a 55 Special with the tiny Special Brakes. I just got new wheel cylinders, hoses, and shoes to put on my car. The guy at car quest gave me 2 sets of 2 1/4 linings. Both the front and rear shoes on my car were 1 3/4. I was shocked to see the 2 1/4 inch shoes fit the front with no problem. But I doubt they will fit the back also. I called the guy at car quest and he said they only list 2 1/4 inch shoes and 2 1/2 inch shoes for 55 they dont have anything in 1 3/4 listed. I also tried RockAuto, Autozone and Advanced AutoParts. I will try to call NAPA in the morning. Does anyone know what part number to use? Should I try another year? Is there someone else I should buy them from?

Would the wider drums from a Super or Roadmaster fit your car?

I don know if the backing plates are different? I know the front backing plates are different from the Roadmaster. Otherwise I would put the 2 1/2 inch drums on it.

Backing plates are specific for the drum size. Take your old shoes to a brake/clutch rebuilder and have new lining installed. i have some backing plates for the larger drum, but finding good serviceable used drums is nearly impossible and the new replacements are junk.

If I changed the backing plates could I have the hubs pressed out and use the drums from the front in the rear?

The reason I ask is I'm planning to swap the front to the later aluminum drums. But since I've had the car the brake system has never worked right now that I'm rebuilding and replacing everything I want to get it 100% functional and driveable before I do any modifications this way I'm not chasing my tail when something goes wrong. I have the aluminum drums about 50% figured out. Now I have to do some very light machine work and test fitting.

Yes, the drums will work on the rear after removing the hub. What year aluminum drums are you trying to fit? Some will work with only longer lug bolts...others require changing or machining the spindle to match the bearings in the new drum.
    There is nothing wrong with your idea, but I promise it can be made to stop well with the stock components. Take all of your shoes and drums to the brake/clutch rebuilding place and specify softer and more aggressive linings that will stop 2 tons of buick; have the drums turned and the shoes arced to fit the drums.

I figure either way there is no harm in going larger and I already bought everything, Im only in it for about $150. It took me forever to find everything out. But from what I understand with the exception of fin count all the drums them selves are the same. However the street rod crowd has turned the early drums into a ridiculously priced item. By the time you're done buying them youre almost at the price of a Scarebird Conversion. What I didnt know at the time I bought mine is they changed the hubs around 62 I think. I cant find the post anymore. So I ended up buying some 90 fins off of a 68 Electra. The hub really doesnt come close to lining up. So I bought a set of 59 Hubs off eBay. I just set the hubs up on the car the other day and they seem to fit. So I am going to take the drums to the machine shop and have them press all the studs out and then the hub, and press in the 59 Hubs. Then from there, I think you have to trim the recess where the hub meets the backing plate, and space the wheel cylinder out a 1/4 inch to get everything to sit correctly. I might be missing something but after about 10 months of research and never finding a thread where someone actually completed the swap, this is what Ive come up with.

Im hoping with my completely rebuilt brake system and the heavier Roadmaster sized brakes this car should stop really nice. My big concern is people drive like idiots around here and I dont want to have an issue stopping. Once I have everything working correctly I am going to try switching out to a Dual reservoir master cylinder and 7 inch dual diaphragm booster, and keep it under the floor. This way my firewall looks stock. I have found a manual brake pedal which is 6:1, once I figure out the linkage It should work, and the treadle vac is about 7 inches in diameter so it should be a decent fit.

Probably too late now...............

I have been at Englishtown, N.J., Carlisle, Pa., and Hershey, Pa. the last three weeks at the giant car shows ---- and had them with me.................
    but probably too late for you now..... but it is up to you.....
    Those shoes are the old # 29 brake shoes ---- and ARE NOT available from the cheesy chineseum world of which you allude to.......
    I do have them --- I make them --- in asbestos ---- such that they do not "RIP UP" those brake drums......
    They fit 1937 - 1955 Buick Special (40 series) and Super (50 series) Front & Rear -------- 12" x 1 3/4"........
    You or anyone is welcome to call me -------- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935 ...... Long Island, New York......