- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 401 in a Riv?

Thanks for that Dr Frank.

It would appear my Buick has the potential to be a true Frankenbuick...lol. I am going to the car this Saturday, its about a hour away. I talked to my buddy and he thinks we can get a jack around it but its gonna be tight. I want to see the number on the transmission if there are any. There is a older post on this sight where some says he has the same possibility. A 401 with a Dynaflow in his 66 so this could be my situation. If I remember right the numbers should be on the passenger side.

Thanks for the tip TODD. I think mine is P-N-D-L-R but not sure. I am righting that down and will check this weekend.

Again thanks alot.

Tony

So I went to the car today. I could not get the car jacked up due to its position and stuff around it but I did see a few things which confirms that it is a Turbo 400. First it has the 66 gear selector (P-R-N-D-L2-L1). also the pan matches the shape for a Turbo 400. I printed off the reference material from this site.

So I think that confirms what it is. I want to thank again everyone for their input. I will post my progress with the P/S pump on the other thread. Once that is good to go I just need to paint it and get the trim back on. It should be on the road next year.....hope,hope.

Thanks again
    Tony

The ST400 (TH400) transmission will have a solenoid terminal on the driver's side of the trans to control the kick down. On the other side will a tag riveted to the side that will have the year and model code stamped into it. If it is the Dynaflow that came with the 63 engine, the kick down will be connected to the carburetor with a steel rod.

Also, the codes for a 66 would be MT for a 401, MW for a 425, or MZ for one of the 179 factory installed dual four barrel motors. MX was used for a small block.

In 1963, engines from a Riviera would have been painted silver, not green. All other full sized models would be green.

Ed

Thanks for the xtra info nailheadnut. I didn't know about the silver engine colour. When I bought the car the engine was red. The only difference in color I saw was on the power steering pump...and who knows what that came off of?....so the engine was definitely repainted and I assume rebuilt. I will not be able to get under the car for a couple of months. Its parked outside and winter complicates things but I will check that stuff out when I do. Like I said I am pretty sure its a turbo 400...but I do want to be totally sure.

Thanks again
    Tony