Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Pump replacement issues.

Power Steering Pump replacement issues.

Hello all.

I have been puttering away at putting my 66 Riv back together and I blew my power steering pump. So I got a new one from OPGI and ,although it does fit in the reservoir , the shaft it to big for me to put the front bracket on and the pulley will not fit. My buddy who is helping me said we could make the hole bigger in the bracket and either make the pulley fit the shaft or have the shaft ground down to fit the pulley but not sure if I want to go this way. So I am looking for some advice.

I have looked into it a bit and on OPGI website it shows the picture of the pump but it does not match the one that came off. Rock Auto has the same pump but they list it under Oldsmobile parts for 65 to 67ish. It also states for this part that you may have to modify the bracket...coincidence?.....I don't think so and OPGI did not mention this.

Is this normal or did the give me the wrong pump? I would like to know before I start a complaint. I have options...I could send the old one to get rebuilt but it has to go to the states( in Canada by the way)and its more money out of pocket but I wont have to modify anything or I can go to a machine shop to grind. The old one was leaking and squealing so I know the rebuild will fix leaks but do they fix the Squeal?

Anyway any advice I get would be great. This site has been good for me while I have been working on this car and that's why I keep coming back to it.

Thanks in advance
    Tony

Cool

The '72 Buick master parts book shows the complete pump to be part no 5694686 for '65-'66 Wildcat/Electra/Riviera cars. The Special/Skylark cars used part no 5694723 in '65 and 5696606 in '66.

The pump shaft is a 5694979 for all '65-'66 Buicks. The Buick Farm has a rebuilt 5694686/5694723 pump insert available with a 1/2" dia shaft. Some other vendors show a 9/16" shaft which appears to be too large for '65-'66 Buicks. Unless machining was done on a lathe, attempting to cut down the shaft diameter would likely introduce runout, wobble, and a loose pulley fit.

The pump housing (casting that pulls out of the reservoir) is a 5688072 for all '60-'66 Buicks exc 61-63 Specials. Various Olds and Pontiacs also used this pump housing number, but with different shafts. The housing casting number shows as 5688074 in all the rebuilt/original photos I could find. There seems to be no need to use a different pump housing having the large diameter casting extension surrounding the bearing. That just makes extra work to enlarge the bracket hole.

The ACDelco website shows their 36P0286 rebuilt pump insert fits the '66 Riviera. Another ACDelco number for it in Canada is 19318812. So that might an avenue to find it there without importing. Rock Auto and Summit Racing show it available just in case.

Problems with squealing have turned out to be loose, worn, or glazed belts from my experience.
    Last edited by TODD; 01-02-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

I have two here from '66 Rivieras with a 9/16" shaft, stepped down to 1/2" fine thread for the nut.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Hey thanks guys

Sorry for the late reply but last weekend was Thanksgiving and was away for the weekend.

TODD...Thanks much for all the info. I went to a machine shop last week and they repeated pretty much what you said about grinding the shaft. They also said that trying to make the pulley fit would have destroyed it. My buddy still disagrees. The shop said that the new shaft is 9/16 and the old one is 1/2 which is why the pulley wont fit. They said they will try to find a aftermarket one that will fit. I have paid 140.00 for this pump and another 172.00 just to get it into the country so I am going to try to make it work. There is a little grinding that has to be done on the bracket, which is annoying but not a huge deal..I think, and if I can get a pulley that works then this should all work out. Car is almost done and I don't want this to hold me back to much. Thanks again for all the alternatives...especially the Canadian contact.

Bob..My old nut fits the threads on the new pump...its just that the pulley does not fit over the shaft. Does that make sense? Is that different then what you are saying? I will try to make this work but....how much would you sell one for? e-mail is antwoine77@hotmail.com if you want to send me a price.

Thanks Tony

After looking at the other post in the Nailhead forum re engine ID, it looks like those numbers are on a 401 from a '63 Riviera. This may explain the difficulty in obtaining the correct PS pump.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Well crap!! Yes that might explain alot...anyway thanks for the info. At least now I know for sure. I have some other questions but since it will be engine related I will post on the other forum.

Thanks again. At least I did not complain to OPGI yet...lol.

Tony

Well I have the new pump hooked up and it seems to be working fine. I do have a squeal now at high revs but I have been told it could be air in the pump. I also might have the belt too tight....I reefed on it pretty good. I was in a hurry and did not have time to mess with it so I will check it out later. The important thing is it is running well and lined up nice.

I took a bunch of pictures and a video of it running but I cant upload to the site for some reason. I keep getting upload error so for the sake of those people on the site who might benefit from this I will confirm that the OPG 65 to 66 Power Steering pump replacement for a 425 will work on a 401. The bracket needs to be machined a bit to make room for the shaft of the different pump and you need a new pulley but it will fit and line up nicely. I also had to add a spacer in behind the pulley. I still have the original pump and pulley so if I want to get it rebuilt in the future I can. I cant find anyone around here to do it so I would have had to send it to the states.

I know alot of people on this site might already know this and might not like the idea of mixing and matching parts but for those that don't know and don't mind then this is a option.

Thanks again to everyone who provided info.

64 to 65 Steering power

When working on a 64 PS pump I wrecked the pulley - thinking I had plenty of them but they were all from 65's -
    so the shaft is indeed different. Looks like you have already mastered the problem, but I thought this bit of trivia
    would help.
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

Thanks Ted

I wouldn't say I mastered anything....a lot of muckin about though.....

I gotta ask ...do you still have all those cars in you address block?

If so all I can say it...wicked.

Thanks again

Tony

Just found this thread so chiming in.
    I'm getting a red/brown dust forming on the inside of the pulley (between the pump and pulley) Everything is still working okay but just wondering if this is an indication that something's wearing and possible failure.
    Would be grateful if anyone has any ideas.
    Tony Gentilcore - Downunder
    ROA #10107

1965 Riviera GS
    1971 Riviera
    2002 Corvette Z06