- 1955 Wiring Diagrams
- 1957 Wiring Diagrams
- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: Help with installing GM VATS Bypass module for PASSkey I and II?

Help with installing GM VATS Bypass module for PASSkey I and II?

I was all excited about my cute key resistor bypass, thinking I had bypassed the annoying security in this old 95 Park avenue.
    https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...passkey-bypass

By the end of that thread I had learned about GM VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) and in particular about Passkey II type VATS, which we have.

I then learned that the only real cure for the constant headaches is a bypass unit that bypasses the anti-theft module with a 50hz square wave generator. Learned that over here: https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...95-Park-Avenue

So I thought it would be good to gather all the info I have on installing this bypass over here and maybe one of you brilliant rogues might help me get it hooked up. At least I'll have it all in one place for reference.
    Last edited by 95ParkAve; 09-26-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Question

This is the info from the Baker Electronix website and faq where I ordered the module. http://www.bakerelectronix.com/vats_faq/
    Where is the VATS pin on my PCM, how do I find it:The VATS signal wire will be labeled (in your vehicles service manual) as VATS, Fuel enable wire or circuit number 229 and is normally a dark blue wire. The pin number at the PCM varies depending on application:
    TBI/TPI 89-92 -------- pin# B6 (might be a white wire instead of dark blue)
    TBI/TPI 91-92--------- pin# F10 of the ECM's 32pin E-F connector.
    LT1 92-93 -------------- pin# 19 ("A19") of the PCM's 32 pin red connector
    LT1 94-97 -------------- pin# 25 ("A25") of the PCM's 32 pin red connector
    LS1 1998 --------------- pin# 11 of the PCM's 80 pin red connector
    LS1 99-02 -------------- pin# 30 of the PCM's 80 pin red connector
    3.8L V6 95-97 -------- pin# 55 of the blue PCM connector
    3.4L DOHC V6 95 ---pin# A14
    PCM# 16187424 -----pin# D6 of the PCM's C3 connector

If your Pin location is different from that listed above Please let us know so that we may update our information.

The VATS/Fuel enable wire can also be found on the BCM’s 10 pin blue connector, at position 'E' or position A3 . In older vehicles the BCM may be called the TDM (Theft Deterrent Module), CCM or PASSkeyII/VATS decoder
    That's ours. 3.8L V6 95-97 -------- pin# 55 of the blue PCM connector
    But, that last part is exciting because I already have the anti-theft module exposed and I'm pretty sure TODD mentioned that the dark blue wire is the signal wire. I looked again at the schematics here, https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...passkey-bypass , but it doesn't seem to list what each wire is/does, just the circuit number.

If the dark blue wire is indeed the signal wire to the pcm, then I just need to find a nearby power wire and ground and I'm all set. Shouldn't there be a power and ground running to the module that I can also bypass,or tie into it if that's a better way to do it? Thanks.

I just noticed that the dark blue wire at position A3 in the schematics IS circuit 229 just like the instructions describe. Awesome. Now if I can just find a list of what those other wires on the anti-theft device's blue plug do.

I'm just guessing. But, I'll likely join the wires by scraping off some insulation with a razor, wrapping and soldering in the new wire before taping, instead of cutting any wires in there. Please let me know if this isn't right to your knowledge.

I think the wire join I mentioned above is called a butt joint. I got the quick disconnect kit in case we ever need to disable the car. So I'll solder in the wires of the disconnect kit, not the device. It ought to show up any day now.

Here's the schematics for the rest of the wires on the PASS-Key II module. 10 pins total are in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Thanks, but I couldn't make much sense of those diagrams. Looks like one wire leaves the module and goes to the ignition enable relay. But I apparently need to bypass that relay with a length of wire. Separate issue. See here, https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...?27032-Need-to-bypass-the-starter-enable-disable-relay

Also, I don't think I ever had the anti-theft module in sight. According to all the diagrams, like this one showing the pcm location,
    netvan_105.PNGthe anti-theft, or passkey module, is always shown way up high behind the passenger airbag. I don't know what I was messing with that looked exactly like the replacement anti-theft modules sold online, even down to the blue plug and dark blue wire.

I'll go out and take another pic of what I was looking at. Maybe somebody knows what it is.

20170928_170717.jpgThat must be it, huh? And it looks like that orange connector goes to the pcm.