- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump

Thread: What needs modified for headers to fit a 74 buick electra

What needs modified for headers to fit a 74 buick electra

ok im looking at potentially upgrading my manifolds to headers cause frankly I think manifolds have nothing but negatives and headers are more of a positive and look better anyway. Well I know taperformance has headers they say will fit but are like 500 to 600 dollars and in my opinion from the pics I have seen not something I would drop that money on for the way they look plus I think that's a ridiculous price. Now I have found online headers that look like they would work but according to the compatibility chart they either say they wont fit or requires modification. So my question is what is this minor modification needed that nobody seems to want to say. I would really like to get some headers for this tank and im ok with mods if need be I just would like to know what they are first.

well, you'd have to cut off the existing header flange and fab a new one for yourself, at a minimum. which is not all that difficult, you take a piece of flat stock and drill holes for the exhaust bolts and ports and you're good.

first criteria is that the header has to have the correct valve order, which in the case of a Buick big block or 350 is ( the big tell is the center exhaust runners are siamesed ):
    IE, IE, EI, EI

this is why Rover headers
    EI, EI, IE, IE

and Chevy big block headers
    EI, EI, EI, EI

can't be adapted. the tubes aren't close to being in the right place. of course, you also need something that's pretty close bore spacing wise ( 4.750" for a BBB, 4.240" for a SBB 350 ) so you aren't jacking up the primaries trying to bend them all over the place.

something like the Chrysler 440 has a 4.800" bore spacing so that's a pretty close starting point.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)