263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many questions! Lol

So many questions! Lol

First of all, hi there I'm new here. Have them some looking around on some of these posts and it sounds like there is a wealth of knowledge in this forum. I look forward to learning in contributing. Have always been a GM guy but never owned a Buick until now. I just purchased a 53 Buick special and it's in Fairly good condition All Things Considered. I'm sure if I looked through all of the pages I can find the answers to these questions and as soon as I post this thread I will start looking I just thought I would get it out there and maybe somebody could set me straight right out of the box. The 3-speed in this car has a loud whine. Is that normal for these cars? To that end , where is the filler for gear oil on this trans? When the clutch is let out I have somewhat of a grinding noise. Throwout bearing? Is there something specific that these Transmissions are called? So I know what to look for when looking for parts? Radio does not work, does anybody know the exact location of the fuse? I looked under the dash and I see where they are but it's kind of hard to see what fuse is what. I guess I could always start pulling them one by one. I have a ton of other questions, but I don't know if I've already overstayed my welcome. LOL if these are very rudimentary questions please don't jump all over me. This is an awesome car and I'm just getting started in restoring it. Thanks ahead of time.

'53 Buick

Welcome

You can not ask too many questions, so don't be shy.

The transmission does have a whine in first gear. Some maybe in second. None in third.

Radio is probably more than the fuse. Get your wallet out.

Which style is the car? Any pictures?

Ben

53 special

Yikes about the radio.... hopefully nothing too crazy. Yeah my transmission has whine in all three gears. I suspect maybe the gear oil is low. That's why I was trying to find out where the filler and drain is. I'll attach a picture. Thanks for the reply!rsz_20170918_084005.jpg

53 special

I posted a reply but I don't see it on here, maybe it will show up later and I will have to delete one. Anyways here's what I said.....

Yikes about the radio.... hopefully nothing too crazy. Yeah my transmission has whine in all three gears. I suspect maybe the gear oil is low. That's why I was trying to find out where the filler and drain is. I'll attach a picture. Thanks for the reply!rsz_20170918_084005.jpg

'53 Special

The fill hole is on the passenger side just below the center. Probable a square head. Use 90 wt GL4 gear oil. 85/140 works as well. Nice car

Ben

53 special

Hey, I got under there today and found them. Thanks they're exactly where you were saying. I put a little Lucas Oil stabilizer in there as well and I must say the whine quieted down alot. Also when I drained it much didn't come out and what did come out was black.

a 53 Special should have the last of the Straight 8s in it, a 263ci.

while we don't have the 1953 Manual the 1952 should be mostly applicable.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...shop/index.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    a 53 Special should have the last of the Straight 8s in it, a 263ci.

while we don't have the 1953 Manual the 1952 should be mostly applicable.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...shop/index.php
    Thanks!

The radio gets its power from the unfused ammeter feed on the back of the headlight switch. There is an inline fuse holder in the power lead going into the radio. Fuse is a 15A.

If the fuse blows after replacing, likely the vibrator inside the radio is bad. This is a metal can resembling a large vacuum tube and unplugs for replacement. The buffer capacitor if original should be replaced also to prevent damage to a new vibrator. Owners had to be cautioned not to start the car with the radio turned on. Otherwise the voltage drop during starting could result in stuck vibrator contacts.

Buick used two manual transmissions in that era--a light-duty unit having a 5-bolt top cover and a heavy-duty unit with a 6-bolt cover for more powerful engines. The Special that year used the light duty unit. These were not interchangeable with other makes due to the torque tube output arrangement used in the Buick. The internals were used in some Pontiac and Olds transmissions of that time.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Thank you very much! Very informative! I'll check all that stuff and come back with an update.