- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 455 Cylinder Head Questions

Question 455 Cylinder Head Questions

I have a couple questions about cylinder heads, parts, and machining, first, here is my combo:

Late model (72-75) 455 8.5:1 engine with Stage 1 valves and upgraded HD valve train (stamped rockers) Cloyes double roller set, Sig Erson cam (.504 lift, 235/245 duration @.05, 108 degree lobe separation) TA Performance single plane intake, Edelbrock 750 carb, exhaust manifolds into dual 3" exhaust, 3.42 gears.

I'm looking to gain a little compression so the cam plays nice and hoping to do it without pulling the engine -

I have a pair of '71 closed chamber (661 casting) heads with cast aluminum rockers, I'm thinking about having them milled .020 under stock to gain a little in compression without having to buy new pushrods.

*** My machinist can't find the information - can anyone tell me where to measure these heads and what the measurement is to see if they have already been milled? ***

As for the rockers, my main concern is reliability, should I stick with the stamped steel rockers (they are almost new) or check the aluminum rockers for cracks and run them? They do show a little wear at the tips.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Steve

If you are asking about the 1970-71 factory aluminum rockers that oil through the pushrods, I would change over to a 72 and later stamped steel rocker. If for some reason you have the 67-69 rockers that oil through the rocker shaft, make sure your block and heads are configured for that and run them. They have a better rocker ratio and are stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by ctlikon View Post
    If you are asking about the 1970-71 factory aluminum rockers that oil through the pushrods, I would change over to a 72 and later stamped steel rocker. If for some reason you have the 67-69 rockers that oil through the rocker shaft, make sure your block and heads are configured for that and run them. They have a better rocker ratio and are stronger.
    I have the 2nd gen ('70-'71) aluminum rockers, I was thinking they would be better than the stamped steel rockers due to less flex????

I also have a set of the stamped rockers I can use if there is a reason not to use the aluminum rockers.

Do the aluminum rockers have (or cause) issues I should be worried about?

Also my machinist is worried if he tries to install hardened seats for the larger valve size he might be getting into a water jacket. I had read somewhere that you don't need hardened seats in Buick heads due to higher nickel content in the iron, can anyone speak to this?

a = how big are you going on the valves? i've heard of shrouding issues for the Stage 1 valves in the narrow bore 400ci but nothing else

b - nobody installs valve seats for Stage 1 valves. you can always call TA for verification.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    a = how big are you going on the valves? i've heard of shrouding issues for the Stage 1 valves in the narrow bore 400ci but nothing else

b - nobody installs valve seats for Stage 1 valves. you can always call TA for verification.
    They are the stage 1 valves from TA, I believe they are 2.125/1.75. My dad had them installed in a different set of heads years ago. They are 455 heads going back on a 455.

I will call TA for verification.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I have the 2nd gen ('70-'71) aluminum rockers, I was thinking they would be better than the stamped steel rockers due to less flex????

I also have a set of the stamped rockers I can use if there is a reason not to use the aluminum rockers.

Do the aluminum rockers have (or cause) issues I should be worried about? !
    The 70-71 Aluminum rockers usually wear at the shaft. If you take them off the shaft, chances are the shaft hole is elongated which changes the geometry. They can have bushings pressed in to repair but most people use the stamped steel or go aftermarket roller $$$$$
    If they are in good shape, use them but they normally aren't. Good luck!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ctlikon View Post
    The 70-71 Aluminum rockers usually wear at the shaft. If you take them off the shaft, chances are the shaft hole is elongated which changes the geometry. They can have bushings pressed in to repair but most people use the stamped steel or go aftermarket roller $$$$$
    If they are in good shape, use them but they normally aren't. Good luck!
    Had my machinist check them out, he says they are good to go. Don't know if he checked the holes for being out of round, but I know he cleaned them and checked for cracks. I'll ask him about the holes. If they are elongated I have a good set of stamped rockers I can use, so no worries there.

The heads were low mileage, machinist said the guides were like new, verified castings have no cracks, he will likely have all the machine work finished today and have them reassembled early next week. (It's my cousin, he's doing it as a side job after hours a little at a time.)

Now to fork over a bunch of money to TA. :|

Thanks for the info!!!

Bowl Blending.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fantastic news, you are luckier than I was.