Thread: Newb here in WA. State Olds Cutlass with Buick 455

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Thumbs up Newb here in WA. State Olds Cutlass with Buick 455

Hey folks, thanks for the add.

My dad recently gave me a 1980 Olds Cutlass with a Buick 455 stuffed in it. I'll be on here looking for information as the engine doesn't run and I'm going to attempt to improve performance a little as I put it back together.

Late model (72-75)455, 8.5:1 with Stage 1 valves, HD valve train, TA Performance single plane intake, recurved HEI distributor. I have a set of '71 closed chamber heads (661 casting) that are going to get resurfaced and cut for the larger valves. The engine doesn't run because it jumps time at the distributor - oil pump drive shaft and cam end play WAY too sloppy. Going to get the TA Performance timing cover/oil pump assembly. Sig Erson cam .504 lift, 235/245 duration, 108 degree lobe separation - I don't know if I can reuse the cam yet, I have to get the timing cover off to better inspect the gear.

I'll post pictures here in the next couple weeks, and I'll be lurking in the engine forum looking for information.

If anyone would like to reply with links to threads on here with any information about measuring the cylinder head thickness and cast aluminum versus stamped steel rocker arms I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

- Steve

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)
    did your dad put that in or is that just something he picked up? that's definitely had a bit of work put into it already.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)
    Dad put the engine in there, the car was finished about 18 or 20 years ago.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)
    Pulled the timing cover - will have to replace the cam due to the gear teeth are chewed up pretty bad, the timing chain has a good amount of slop in it so I'll be replacing that too since I'm already there. I guess TA Performance will be getting a bit more of my money. (:/)

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    did your dad put that in or is that just something he picked up? that's definitely had a bit of work put into it already.
    Yeah, there was a bunch of work put into it a couple times, this is the 2nd Buick 455 that has been in this car. The first 455 was cooked at the drag strip with pre-ignition after making a couple 12.6 - 12.8 1/4 mile passes, that was the 10:1 engine, that is why the engine in the car now is the 8.5:1, Dad didn't want to buy a set of new pistons.

I don't want to spend the bucks replacing pistons and doing a complete rebuild on an engine that has less than 10K on the last one, so I am going to try to gain a little compression at the cylinder heads while I have it apart to fix the other issues.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)
    pre ignition?

what octane fuel was he running?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)
    He always ran high octane pump gas in it. He had a cam with a bunch of advance built into it and was running with open (or no) exhaust so couldn't hear it ping. At least that's the story I got. Gotta keep in mind there's a little CRS running in my family.

My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)
    He always ran high octane pump gas

that's not that high.

you're familiar with 100LL AvGas, yes? it's often a fairly cheap alternative to race fuel, although prices can vary wildly so you should always use a price reporting service.

http://airnav.com/fuel/local.html

the only caveat is that you don't want to run that in something that has a catalytic convertor. but this is true of ALL leaded fuels, TEL messes up cats.
    Vladimir Lenin