Thread: Buick head interchange...?

Buick head interchange...?

Greetings to all you Buick gearheads on this site! I just found this forum - full of info!

I have a couple of 4.1/252 V-6 engines. I plan to do a 'Most bang for the buck' moderate performance build on at least one of the 4.1s; performing all the free and low cost performance mods I have learned over the years on this engine. included in the LONG list of freebies & low cost mods is a stock 4BBL manifold (massaged) and stock heads (massaged).

Both 4.1s seem to have the same or very similar heads as the 3.8/231. Every time I look at these heads I have to believe there is a better stock head available. The aftermarket heads are not in the budget. My questions are: Does anyone know what heads of this era is the best? Or are they all basically the same? Will any of the early or late FWD heads work? Are any of them any better? Are turbo heads any better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, including what mods on the heads I have would be most effective if that's my only option.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this!

Gearhead252

ooooh, i don't know about that. the 231 / 252 v6 is based on the 300ci v8 ( which is where the valve order and deck height come from ). and the 300ci is the 2nd iteration of the Small Block Buick family.

the 231 is concurrent with the Buick 350ci ( which is where the 231ci gets its bore size, older v6s used the 300 bore and were 225ci or 3/4*300 ).

the problem being, that the general consensus is that the Buick 350 heads are pretty much all the same from 1968 to 1981, excepting that the later years might have some emissions ports. my suspicion is that the same thing is going to apply to the OEM v6 parts.

if you can prove us wrong in that assumption, we'd love to hear about it.

having said that, the Buick v6 was the major six cylinder offering from GM when the NASCAR boys and upper level short track people trying to transition to v6 power plants. we've got a couple of magazine articles in the Reference section about this.

scour RacingJunk.com / other vintage power web sites and you can probably come up with old Buick race parts that were used in circle from the 1980s and 90s.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...aker_buick.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

RE: Buick (v-6) head interchange...

Thanks for the info, Bob. Sorry it took so long to reply.

Does anyone else care to chime in?

there's a Kenne-Bell ( old Buick supplier, they're still around but they've moved on to Fords and superchargers now ) single plane v6 racing intake just went up in the Classifieds.

you might want to talk to that guy, he might have some other racey v6 parts sitting around.

https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...luminum-Intake
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

manifold

Thanks again, Bob. I'm on it!