- 1955 Wiring Diagrams
- 1957 Wiring Diagrams
- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: Can I test start my 95 park ave with the airbags disabled?

Can I test start my 95 park ave with the airbags disabled?

Just finished replacing the ignition lock cylinder and bypassing passkey. I'd like to test start it before I put it all back together.

Okay to hook up the battery and start it before i put it the airbag back on & enable them?

Exclamation

I really hope this buick forum isn't as dead as th e last one I tried. Come on people, over 20 views and nobody can comment on it this thing can be started safely with the airbags disabled? It's a yes or no question!

excuse my ignorance, but, what might the problem be with starting it before connecting the airbags. The only thing I can think of is there could be an open controlling starting without functional air bags, so the car simply would not start. If the car can be started without airbags connected I would think it would be fine.

But my comment is not an assurance that it is no problem. It only means that if it were my problem, I would have already tried the restart, and know whether it was a success or problem

Going from the shop manual, it will start with the air bags disconnected. Will just generate a trouble code and illuminate the air bag warning light. Code will clear and light will go out when final assembly is completed.

A word to the wise: reassemble the system in the exact order given in the manual.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post
    Going from the shop manual, it will start with the air bags disconnected. Will just generate a trouble code and illuminate the air bag warning light. Code will clear and light will go out when final assembly is completed.

A word to the wise: reassemble the system in the exact order given in the manual.

I planned on doing it in the exact reverse order from disabling and disassembling it. Not good enough?

Also to disable it I removed two fuses, 1a marked start/airbag & another thing (it's not in front of me atm) and 1c marked simply airbag.

If I put 1a back in to start it, hopefully that doesn't partially enable the airbags. That messes with the order of reassembly too.

Sorry to have three questions here but is it true i need to turn the key to the run position before I hook the battery back up?

The reason I'm asking all this here is because this car has an odd finicky computer and I don't want to cause any more trouble with it just fixing the ignition lock. Thanks again guys.

Couldn't wait any longer. Just tried starting it and the security light flashes. No start. I figured it wouldn't be that easy with this car.

But I don't get why. This chipped key reads the correct value. And it's connected with the same connectors it had before and it started fine before.

We've had trouble with it before when disconnecting the battery. Is there some trick to it?

I remembered the trick. See here https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...121#post105121

That got me out of passkey jail yay. Still not start but it just be something else. Thanks for the help. This one can be marked solved too. You guys rock.